Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading group - Aug 9 - 31

It does look like we lost everyone else. How is Moloka'i? It sounds interesting. I've been a bit slow on reading the past few days. Dh and I have been watching bad karate movies in the evenings. I was raised on Bruce Lee and Karate Kid but apparently dh didn't get it when I told him I loved that kind of movie. When he found out he was excited so we've been watching everything we can find. We did the Karate Kid series with the boys (all but The Next Karate Kid which I can't find) and then we have been watching the more adult ones after they are in bed. So that cuts into my reading time. Plus things have been really busy with schooling lately. I spent all weekend rearranging the house to change the play room into a bedroom for Tharen. The boys were no longer sleeping so well while sharing a room so I knew it was time. The furniture is moved and arranged but I still need to decorate. A friend is going to help me paint trees on Tharen's walls so he can have a forest theme (he wants a David the Gnome room) in there. Then I need to totally repaint Kearnan's room, we haven't changed it since we moved in so it is still essentially decorated as the previous owners nursery. He wants outer space. But that is going to have to wait a little while because painting an entire room is quite the undertaking. So all that to say I am still working on Waifs and Strays though I am down to the last story in it. So I will finish it today probably. Not sure what to read next.

I'm still working on the Bunnicula series with the boys, hoping to finish soon.

Kearnan made it through 6 reading assignments last week. I am hoping he will do as well or better again this week.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
It does look like we lost everyone else. How is Moloka'i? It sounds interesting. I've been a bit slow on reading the past few days. Dh and I have been watching bad karate movies in the evenings. I was raised on Bruce Lee and Karate Kid but apparently dh didn't get it when I told him I loved that kind of movie. When he found out he was excited so we've been watching everything we can find. We did the Karate Kid series with the boys (all but The Next Karate Kid which I can't find) and then we have been watching the more adult ones after they are in bed. So that cuts into my reading time. Plus things have been really busy with schooling lately. I spent all weekend rearranging the house to change the play room into a bedroom for Tharen. The boys were no longer sleeping so well while sharing a room so I knew it was time. The furniture is moved and arranged but I still need to decorate. A friend is going to help me paint trees on Tharen's walls so he can have a forest theme (he wants a David the Gnome room) in there. Then I need to totally repaint Kearnan's room, we haven't changed it since we moved in so it is still essentially decorated as the previous owners nursery. He wants outer space. But that is going to have to wait a little while because painting an entire room is quite the undertaking. So all that to say I am still working on Waifs and Strays though I am down to the last story in it. So I will finish it today probably. Not sure what to read next.

I'm still working on the Bunnicula series with the boys, hoping to finish soon.

Kearnan made it through 6 reading assignments last week. I am hoping he will do as well or better again this week.
Ooh, I love rearranging furniture and stuff! I hope the new sleeping arrangements are working out. I wish I lived closer, because I'd love to come help paint! As long as I don't have to do the trimming, I'm all about it!

It sounds like you guys are trucking right along with their reading goals - that's great! How is Waifs and Strays?

I stayed up until 1:30am this morning to finish Moloka'i. OMG I loved it!! I borrowed it from the library, but I might order it from paperbackswap.com so that I can have a copy to keep. I'd love to read it again. It's also made me want to read more books about Hawaii's history, especially the Moloka'i/leper events and histories. It was so wonderfully written and the setting was, of course, paradise. I have his other book, Honolulu, and I'm eager to read that one now but I still have a few others from the library to finish up first.

Up next:
The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand (audiobook)
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (audiobook)
The Island by Elin Hilderbrand (audiobook)
Savages by Shirley Conran
A Year in the Maine Woods by Bernd Heinrich (I don't want to give this book up without finishing it, but I'm not sure I'll make it.)
Balancing Acts by Zoe Fishman

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The new sleeping arrangements have been great. It took Tharen a little while to get used to sleeping alone. He isn't so good at being alone in general, but I gave him my fiber optic fairy light and now he seems to be doing well. He is still sleeping on his floor instead of in the loft bed so we put a kindergarten nap mat down for him. I'm not sure why he doesn't want to sleep in the bed, but I don't care if it doesn't bother him. Everyone is getting so much more sleep, it has been great. No more sleepy, grumpy boys. They are also doing better keeping the rooms clean. I'm not always walking into a room to find a mess of toys everywhere. I wish you were closer to help with the painting LOL. It isn't that I mind painting but it always seems so daunting. We haven't painted since we moved in. It's so much easier when there is no furniture in the house to worry about. Hopefully we will do that in the next couple of months. Kearnan's room seems so strange with so little decoration on the walls.

Waifs and Strays was wonderful. I love Charles De Lint's books. It was a short story compilation vs a novel. I do sort of miss the character and setting development you get with a novel, but most of the stories involved the "worlds" he has developed in some of his other works I have read so I was familiar with the settings already. It was like revisiting old friends. Sort of makes me want to pick up some of his other books and re-read them. I may when I run out of other things to read. After I finished up Waifs and Strays I read a couple of mangas I had sitting around and then moved into the Only The Ring Finger Knows novel series. I have read the manga which was a small portion of the first novel and my friend highly recommended the series. So far it is really sweet but the translation is a bit rough. Lots of typos and editorial errors which makes it a bit harder to read. I finished the first book and started the second one. 7,409 pages read so far.

We managed to finish Bunnicula Strikes Again and moved into the Tales From the House of Bunnicula books which are slightly faster reading. We finished book one It Came From Under The Bed and are halfway through book two Invasion of the Mind Swappers from Asteroid 6. They are nice funny light reading. When we finish all three of these I think we will try reading the Harry Potter books again. I have read all of the books to Kearnan in the past but Tharen hasn't heard them yet so I am excited to give it a try. 933 pages read to the kids.

Kearnan managed to make it through a full 5 reading assignments again last week. This week will be a little shorter probably since I have a Dr's appt on Thursday and we are hoping to go to Afest on Friday if dh can get the time off. But I am still hoping to get in 5 reading assignments. Lately Kearnan's reading has improved dramatically. I've caught him reading over my shoulder while I type at the computer even. I am so excited that he is doing so well. I think I may try to add 1 short story or picture book to his reading each day, on top of his reading assignments for school.

I love history and books about historical events. Moloka'i sounds good, I looked at the reviews on Amazon and I think I may have to add it to my list. I bought some of the Dear America books for Kearnan to supplement his history and language arts curriculum so I am excited to see how they are.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

That's great the new arrangements seem to be working! It might take a little while for him to get used to being in his own room and then maybe he'll warm up to the idea of the loft bed. He can probably just sense the difference in the room's chi compared to the other one and it's like sleeping in a hotel room, just foreign. Being closer to the ground feels more secure.

I haven't read any of his books, but I do prefer novels over short stories for the reasons you mentioned. I haven't tried many short stories though, so I can't discount them quite yet.

You're doing great on the reading goals for them! It'll be nice when my little ones are old enough to sit through me reading longer stories with them.

Yes, definitely check out Moloka'i! I loved it so much, I'm going to get my own copy to keep and re-read. Everything about the book is wonderful (although it's a heartbreaking subject). It might be my favorite of 2010 so far. I'll have to go back to others I've read to make sure, but I think it just might be.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
That's great the new arrangements seem to be working! It might take a little while for him to get used to being in his own room and then maybe he'll warm up to the idea of the loft bed. He can probably just sense the difference in the room's chi compared to the other one and it's like sleeping in a hotel room, just foreign. Being closer to the ground feels more secure.

I haven't read any of his books, but I do prefer novels over short stories for the reasons you mentioned. I haven't tried many short stories though, so I can't discount them quite yet.

You're doing great on the reading goals for them! It'll be nice when my little ones are old enough to sit through me reading longer stories with them.

Yes, definitely check out Moloka'i! I loved it so much, I'm going to get my own copy to keep and re-read. Everything about the book is wonderful (although it's a heartbreaking subject). It might be my favorite of 2010 so far. I'll have to go back to others I've read to make sure, but I think it just might be.
Whew weird week. Kearnan picked up a stomach bug from his cousin which he then was kind enough to give to me. Naturally though he was only sick briefly I was dead to the world for two days. Then a neuro appt and it was time for Afest (yearly anime convention) that runs for four days. So things have finally settled down. I just finished Only The Ring Finger Knows Volume 2 finally and I did manage to pick up volume 4 at the convention as luck would have it (it is out of print). Unfortunately I have been unable to locate volume 5. 7,728 pages so far for me.

I did manage to finish Invasion of The Mind Swappers From Asteroid 6 as well as Howie Monroe and The Dog House Of Doom so that is all of the tales from the house of bunnicula series. I decided to read the catwings books to the boys since they are short and really cute. We are now 1,145 pages into reading with them.

We didn't get any real reading done with Kearnan last week. I'm disappointed about that but between him being sick and then me being sick there wasn't anything to be done about it. We will try to make some of it up this week but we are taking things easy recovering from the convention. He actually went with us this time, it was his first anime convention and he did wonderfully. He keeps asking if there is another one this weekend.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #16
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Whew weird week. Kearnan picked up a stomach bug from his cousin which he then was kind enough to give to me. Naturally though he was only sick briefly I was dead to the world for two days. Then a neuro appt and it was time for Afest (yearly anime convention) that runs for four days. So things have finally settled down. I just finished Only The Ring Finger Knows Volume 2 finally and I did manage to pick up volume 4 at the convention as luck would have it (it is out of print). Unfortunately I have been unable to locate volume 5. 7,728 pages so far for me.

I did manage to finish Invasion of The Mind Swappers From Asteroid 6 as well as Howie Monroe and The Dog House Of Doom so that is all of the tales from the house of bunnicula series. I decided to read the catwings books to the boys since they are short and really cute. We are now 1,145 pages into reading with them.

We didn't get any real reading done with Kearnan last week. I'm disappointed about that but between him being sick and then me being sick there wasn't anything to be done about it. We will try to make some of it up this week but we are taking things easy recovering from the convention. He actually went with us this time, it was his first anime convention and he did wonderfully. He keeps asking if there is another one this weekend.
Man, sorry your house got hit with the bug! Yeah, it's best to just put things on hold sometimes and the only thing we usually do when we're sick is sit around and watch tv. That's funny about his asking if there are more conventions.

I'm going to attempt to resurrect our reading group...or start a new one. I'm going to make a September thread and post in the Off Topic forum for readers to join in if they'd like. We started out with so many people, too! Maybe they were subscribed to the original one and just forgot??