Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Heather's birth story

Heather Marie was born on August 11th, 2010 @ 9:12pm, weighing 10lbs 13oz & was 21 inches long with head & chest circumferences of 14.5 inches. Traumatic for me and definitely the opposite of what I was imagining her birth to be like, but we're doing well now and I'm so thankful to have her.

I wrote originally wrote this to post in my blog, so FYI: Adam is my SO and Holly is my 3yr-old.

My EDD was Wednesday, August 4th. I went to my 40wk appt. and was 3cm & 50% effaced, -3 station (same as the previous week). I scheduled a non-stress test for that afternoon and also to be induced the following Wednesday. The NST took quite a few hours to do because they heard an arrhythmia - same thing happened with Holly. I was sent down to L&D to be monitored some more and everything looked fine. I scheduled another NST for the 9th and that went well, too.

On the 10th, we went for a drive and stopped at Sonic. Later that night we took Holly to Adam's parents' house because we had to be at the hospital at 6:30am the following morning - it was easier to have Holly stay at their house rather than wake her so early in the morning. We went to bed later than I wanted to and I think I only got about five or six hours of sleep. In the morning I called L&D and asked if I had to go to admissions first and was told that I did, so we left the house at 6am. I was done with that and set up in a room by 7am.

I didn't keep track of time that well (though I really wish I had, or had at least gotten a video) so I can't say for sure when certain things happened. After I was hooked up to the monitors/IV, an OB came in and checked me - I think she said 3-4cm but I can't remember how effaced I was. I remember her feeling the baby and guessing that she'd weigh about 7-8lbs and the nurse said, I think, 8lbs 6oz. The pitocin was started and at some point I called my mom to let her know we were at the hospital. I didn't want her coming up just yet because I knew it probably wouldn't be until late afternoon, earliest, that I'd give birth. But she came up anyway, with my dad, and they stayed for an hour, maybe two. Another OB came in at noon - he was really nice - and checked me. I don't remember how dilated I was but I think around 4cm still, and her head was still at -3 station. He was going to break my water but I guess didn't think he'd be able to - he stopped and said he'd try again a little later. I felt a small gush and asked what that could be and he said it could be cervical secretions or something or some of the gel they use. He left the room and like a minute later I felt another gush and then another big one. It was definitely my water - I had TONS of it. It just kept coming and coming. I don't remember it being like that with Holly. Adam told the OB that my water had broken, and then the nurse came in and changed the sheets on my bed because they were soaked.

My mom kept asking if I was feeling any cramping or contractions and I kept telling her it hadn't changed but the last half hour or so that they were there, the contractions started picking up. The nurse came in and asked if I was feeling them and I said not really (although I really was), and she said I should be because they were 2 minutes apart. I was getting kind of frustrated, between the pain of the contractions and my parents being there, and I just wanted to be left alone. I didn't want anyone else in the room besides Adam - which is why I told my mom I didn't want her coming up until I called her and told her to. I didn't say anything about the contractions until after my parents left, and then when they started getting worse I asked for an epidural. I was not planning on getting an epidural again and was so against it this time. I'm kind of glad I got it, though, because it really helped after the delivery.

Sometime after getting the epidural, one of my legs went more numb than the other. It felt really weird. Things were moving kind of slow and I was STARVING - I ate an apple and banana before getting to the hospital and wished I had had more than that.

After a couple hours I started feeling the contractions again. With them I felt an urge to push, though it was only a slight urge - Adam told the OB and they came in and had me do a couple pushes. She said I wasn't ready yet although I definitely felt ready. I was also checked and was complete and baby's head was at -1 station. I'm not sure how much longer it was until I felt more of an urge to push or at what time I started pushing, but it felt shorter than it did with Holly (which was about two hours). I had this horrible pain on my lower left side - probably because the epidural was working better on my right side - that only went away when I was pushing. I was really trying to focus on pushing - just thinking of getting her out and finally being able to eat again. I remember the push I did when her head finally came out and then some nurses were on my belly, telling me to push again - apparently her shoulders got stuck, and that's probably the pain I was feeling on my left side. I remember someone saying, "That's a big baby" and then she was taken to get suctioned and weighed - I was so surprised when Adam said she was 10lbs 13oz. I figured she'd be long (21 inches) because I felt her so high up and down low.

Things were extremely different than they were with Holly (and I don't know why I was expecting it to be the same). After Holly was born, she was placed on my belly and then I delivered the placenta. With Heather, I started hemorrhaging so I didn't get to hold her until things settled down. I didn't know what was going on until after the OB said I was losing more blood than expected - they were massaging my belly to try to get the bleeding to stop and that's why I said I was kind of glad I got the epidural. It was NOT comfortable at all and when the anesthesiologist came back in the room, he gave me something else that was supposed to wear off in an hour (more like all night, but it helped a bunch). I remember touching my leg and it being so warm - it felt like I was touching someone else's leg. The massaging felt like it went on forever and one of the OB's told me if they couldn't get the bleeding to stop, they'd have to do a hysterectomy. I felt really cold and my teeth/hands were numb, probably from the medication I got - but the coldness was from losing so much blood. They had Adam and the baby leave the room, and then I got a shot in my thigh, a suppository and more pitocin. They put a balloon (not an actual balloon) in my uterus and filled it with saline - they said they'd drain it little by little the following afternoon. I couldn't eat anything until then because I had to have an empty stomach in case they needed to do surgery. I had two IVs of fluids going and then got two bags of blood. I think I only got a few stitches - Heather's head and chest circumference was the same as Holly's, so I guess room was already made for her. :P

It was so much more traumatic than I can put into words. I was calm throughout everything - despite being in pain when they were massaging my belly - and it didn't really hit me until after we got home.

I barely slept that night. I'd fall asleep for maybe five or ten minutes at a time and then would be back up. Adam was going to sleep at home but asked me if I'd rather him stay at the hospital - I told him it was his choice and he stayed. A nurse brought in Heather so I could nurse her and she stayed with me all night.

The following morning, Adam's mom showed up with Holly and my mom & dad came up to get her (they were taking her to their house for a few hours). I didn't know people were coming and it gave me a lot of anxiety. They stayed for a while and eventually the OB came in to drain some of the fluid from the balloon - it also had a catheter that drained blood and I had a catheter in my bladder. He said they'd drain it two more times, waiting a half hour inbetween. Another OB was there with him and told me that nursing Heather helped a lot - I knew that nursing contracts the uterus and it made me wonder if I had nursed her from the start, would it have helped control the bleeding? idk.

After the balloon was drained, the nurse took the catheter out of my bladder and the IV out of my left arm and we worked on getting me to sit up. It took a while but eventually I sat up and then stood up, and sat in a chair and ate lunch. I stayed in the L&D room overnight and was going to be moved to a maternity room. Adam left after I was moved and I tried to sleep but it didn't work out too well. I was so tired but just could not sleep.

Surprisingly, I was not sore at all from giving birth. I had problems walking and standing up straight thanks to the epidural/numb legs, but it got easier each time I stood up and I only needed the nurse to help me maybe two or three times. I remember being SO sore after birthing Holly - maybe because she was my first?

I couldn't sleep that night, either. I slept more than I had the previous night, but still not enough. I was really exhausted. I had some anxiety but wasn't feeling depressed, although apparently I looked like I was because of the lack of sleep. I filled out the PPD screening test and got 8pts, which said I was at a low risk for having PPD. But it didn't kick in until after we were home so that wasn't really helpful.

The night we came home, I felt like I was going to lose my mind and just cried, cried, cried. I did the same thing the following day and up until Heather was a week old, when I finally called my OB and he prescribed me Zoloft. My mom was telling me it was the "baby blues" but what I was feeling was NOT the baby blues - I was in too dark of a place for it to be just that. I had PPD with my first but it is so much worse this time. Zoloft is definitely helping, though.

I hadn't planned on getting induced. I also hadn't planned on getting an epidural. I am all about natural childbirth and actually wanted a homebirth, preferably a waterbirth. But then my anxiety got the best of me and I was paranoid over everything, and agreed to an induction at 41 weeks. I wish I had scheduled it for 42 weeks or at least had a reason to be induced other than being "over-due". But I guess there's no use dwelling over it.

Advertisement

Emi Marie, 8.15.14

Last edited by 2208; 01-09-2012 at 12:12 PM.
2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Heather's birth story

I'm sorry your birth didn't go as you had planed

Your DD is absolutely gorgeous Love those cheeks!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Weecycled Woolies
Registered Users
seller

Congratulations

My first dd was the same exact weight and height as Heather! I know what you mean by not getting the birth you expected, it happened to me. You did better than I did though, I ended up with a c section.

She is absolutely beautiful!!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow what a baby...good job mama...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

congrats mama!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats mama! What a sweet face!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
aggfan
Registered Users
seller

Hey, I'm a big proponent of natural birth, but she would have been even bigger if she'd cooked a little longer and who knows if that would have led to more complications. Babies over 10 pounds get my attention, and your little one might have been over 11 pounds if she'd stayed in longer. If you'd had a homebirth and hemorrhaged, that might have been disastrous.

You had a rough birth. There's no way to know if doing something different would have made it better or worse.

I had a friend who hemorrhaged, needed a transfusion, and almost got a hysterectomy during her second labor. Her head was spinning... she was bleeding out one day, hearing her blood drip on the floor, but then tranfused and discharged about 48 hours later. A relative offered to come and help her for 1-2 weeks post-partum, which really helped. Over the next year, she also made at least one, if not two, appointments with her ob for no reason other than to talk over her labor, why it happened, how serious it was, if it would re-occur, what safeguards would be in place if she had another baby. Her husband went with her to one, both for the information and because he was rather traumatized from the birth. I would encourage you to do the same - a traumatic birth needs to be addressed for the physical and emotional parts of it.

She also struggled with other aspects of anxiety and motherhood and went into some counseling. For a while, she was interested in having another child but had serious anxiety that she might die in labor. I think she has worked through it because she is TTC now, three years later.

Rest up even more than normal, tell people you needed a transfusion, are weak and need X help (a meal, grocery shopping, child care, whatever). They will respond in droves, I'm sure. Congratuaitons and good luck to you!
aggfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggfan View Post
Hey, I'm a big proponent of natural birth, but she would have been even bigger if she'd cooked a little longer and who knows if that would have led to more complications. Babies over 10 pounds get my attention, and your little one might have been over 11 pounds if she'd stayed in longer. If you'd had a homebirth and hemorrhaged, that might have been disastrous.

You had a rough birth. There's no way to know if doing something different would have made it better or worse.

I had a friend who hemorrhaged, needed a transfusion, and almost got a hysterectomy during her second labor. Her head was spinning... she was bleeding out one day, hearing her blood drip on the floor, but then tranfused and discharged about 48 hours later. A relative offered to come and help her for 1-2 weeks post-partum, which really helped. Over the next year, she also made at least one, if not two, appointments with her ob for no reason other than to talk over her labor, why it happened, how serious it was, if it would re-occur, what safeguards would be in place if she had another baby. Her husband went with her to one, both for the information and because he was rather traumatized from the birth. I would encourage you to do the same - a traumatic birth needs to be addressed for the physical and emotional parts of it.

She also struggled with other aspects of anxiety and motherhood and went into some counseling. For a while, she was interested in having another child but had serious anxiety that she might die in labor. I think she has worked through it because she is TTC now, three years later.

Rest up even more than normal, tell people you needed a transfusion, are weak and need X help (a meal, grocery shopping, child care, whatever). They will respond in droves, I'm sure. Congratuaitons and good luck to you!
You're right - if I hadn't been induced, she probably would have been well over 11lbs. I think she'd have been born close to 42 weeks. She did get stuck on the way out, so if she had been over 11lbs, I think it would have been worse.

I have been thinking about counseling and am going to set up an appt. soon. I have my 6wk postpartum visit soon and will talk to my OB about my delivery.

Thank-you.
Emi Marie, 8.15.14

2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

Hope you're doing well, and your baby is beautiful. Good luck to you and your family.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

she is beautiful...sorry things were so rough.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote