Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #11
mcpforever's Avatar
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bama
Posts: 11,738
My Mood:
Re: Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
When my sister had it, her doctor said the symptoms can last up to a year.
Everything I have heard or read talks in terms of weeks for adults. Unless there is an additional underlying condition, I would think that this would be very unlikely.

Advertisement

__________________
Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
escapethevillage's Avatar
escapethevillage
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,351
My Mood:
Re: Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q

Most people have had it by the time they are an adult. It's not very common in adults.

But, the fact that your sister had it as an adult too, probably means that none of you had it as kids. It's odd that you didn't have it, but not unheard of.

Fifths disease is so common, and so mild in children, we often don't ever know the kids have it. Schools don't even isolate kids with fifths disease. But, when adults have it, it takes on a whole new set of symptoms. I've known a few adults with it, but very few. They had symptoms for a month or so.

It's completely fine if kids have it. It's probably better if they do, so they don't go through what you are going through.
__________________
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
catilina's Avatar
catilina
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Beautiful Oregon!
Posts: 1,067
Re: Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't have a ton of experience with Fifth's Disease. My sister had Fifth's Disease when she was a teenager, and it was pretty bad for her. I know typically that when kids get it it is not usually a big deal. As others have said, most people have come into contact with it as a child and carry an immunity to it as adults.

However, I did have a friend in college who lost her baby at around 26-27 weeks to Fifth's Disease (shown in the autopsy report). She evidently didn't have the immunity. She was a kindergarten teacher and caught it from one of her students. There were early signs that the illness infected the baby but the doctor didn't see any cause for worry. In most instances, even if a pregnant woman does catch fifth's disease, it is fairly mild and almost never affects the fetus. From what I understand, it *can* sometimes cause severe anemia in fetuses, which can lead to miscarriage. I believe it is extremely rare, though. I think it occurs in less than 5% of all pregnant women who contract parvovirus...

If you have been having symptoms, it can't hurt to be tested. It could at least give you some peace of mind in the future knowing if you have immunity.
__________________
cat
mommy to one hilarious preschooler boy (09.06)
and one cuddly toddler girl (05.09)!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
mommyfrog's Avatar
mommyfrog
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camano Island, WA
Posts: 6,277
Re: Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q

I tested positive for both antibodies, one of them pretty high, one lower. My doctor said that means it's possible that I've had a recent infection. From everything I've read online, that means a positive test result. So yes, I've had Fifth's Disease recently. I'd say there's a pretty good chance it caused the baby to pass. It would be too big of a coincidence if it wasn't the reason. I have an appointment on Monday with the perinatal specialist to find out all the other test results, so will talk more to her about it. It would be good to know if that is the reason and that it can't happen again because now I will be immune.
__________________
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
CherryPie's Avatar
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: with my 4 rad kids
Posts: 13,493
My Mood:
Re: Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q

Sorry mama

I had a family friend who got it while pregnant and her son has mild retardation and mild cerebral palsy from it.
__________________

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #16
mommyfrog's Avatar
mommyfrog
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camano Island, WA
Posts: 6,277
Re: Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q

By the way, from what I've read only 50-60% of adults are immune to it. If you haven't had it and you get it when pregnant the baby has a 30% chance of getting it. 10% of mother's infected during pregnancy will lose their baby. 3% of infected babies will get fetal anemia. Of those 60-80% will survive with fetal blood transfusions. 20% of people infected never have symptoms and people are contagious before they have symptoms. Those are some of the numbers.
__________________
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
katina128's Avatar
katina128
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,525
My Mood:
Re: Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q

I'm so sorry for your loss. My boys caught it when I was pregnant with my angel baby Rachel, and I in turn caught it because as an only child, I never had it and had no immunity. My OB had run a titer for me. I lost Rachel at 26wks and while she did have other underlying issues, the Fifth's likely contributed to her death. You can read my story on my blog if you're interested. Again, I'm so sorry.
__________________
Katina, Mom to Nate & Zach & Baby Rachel born still 9-19-09,
Olivia Faith born 10-8-10

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #18
mommyfrog's Avatar
mommyfrog
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camano Island, WA
Posts: 6,277
Re: Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q

Thank you for sharing that. I'm very sorry for your loss too. Everyone who has lost a baby for any reason. It's heartbreaking. I jsut wonder why it's not more widely known that it can harm the baby if you get it when you are pregnant. This was my 8th pregnancy and I'd never heard of that. Neither has anyone else I know. If I had known then what I know now, I would have went straight to my dr when the neighbor girl came down with it. She's friends with my oldest and over at my house all the time. My oldest got it as well as her boyfriend, my nieces and now my two year old. They've been passing it around for about 2.5 months. My younger sister is pregnant too but is doing fine, thank goodness. I was one of 8 so you'd think I would have had it some time in childhood, but no, and neither had my older sister. She had it a little over a year ago.
__________________
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.