Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
nannyinsanity
Registered Users
seller

trainers: a dry morning story/questions!

sposie-addicted 22 month old has been showing serious signs of PTing for a few months now, including being able to "hold it" through 2-3 hour naps, and indicate when he's gone (and sometimes when he's about to go). he's extremely verbal and smart, and it doesn't surprise me that he's starting now (I've been casually introducing since 18 months). i'm not going to push it too hard, but i do try to get him to sit, at least once a day, and i ask him frequently if he is wet.

being the nanny, I'm not the primary decision maker, and his preschool (5 mornings a week) doesn't really support training this early (boooo). so, when he's home from preschool all day (like today), as well as in the afternoons after nap, i like to try to beef up his potty skills (they WILL take him to the bathroom if he can wear undies and indicate when he has to go).

problem is, he's been in sposies since birth, and anything like a sposie, he'll pee in (including cloth dipes). when I got smart today and put him in just a thirsties cover, he held it! he has been dry ALL MORNING and has peed in the potty twice. he doesn't seem to react to the bare PUL on his bum, but i did put a paper towel in to catch any liquid and to prevent his boy parts from sticking to the PUL. of course, he's back in his sposie for nap, but i am debating putting him back in the cover after nap.

so, am I crazy? is this a feasible (and definitely cost-efficient) option? should I just stick some kind of washable liner in a PUL cover and call it a day? should i use nylon covers instead? and WHAT am I gonna do when he's in cloth underwear?!

this is my first PTing experience, so let me hear your thoughts and suggestions!

Advertisement

Cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, breastfed-advocating, future-foster-parenting, art-making, mic-rocking, pro-photographing, world-traveling, thrifting fashionista NANNY extraordinaire to C (11/2008) and G (5/2010). ISO/IHA
nannyinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: trainers: a dry morning story/questions!

My little guy did the best - and was the fastest to react - when he was in regular boy underwear...no idea why.... we have a bunch of trainers and he wears them often because DH doesn't trust that he is PL...but really the simplicity of underwear works the best....so maybe try that? My guy stays dry at nap and night as well - without much (any) effort from me...he just all of the sudden started waking up with a dry diaper and asking to go in the potty...(I know others might be jealous - no idea why my kids make that so easy for me)

I would think if you just put a tiny bit of fabric (like a washcloth or napkin size) in the thirsties cover you could probably get really far in the process of PLing...when my guy was ready it only took like a day or 2 for him to get really good at the process....and sounds like your little guy is ready (or close enough) for you to really keep up with it....

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote