Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
sunsh1ne
Registered Users
seller

Re: Moving to Denton or DFW area, need advice! where to live, midwives, organic food.

Thanks for all the previous posts! I've been away from this thread too long--it's crunch time! We're moving for sure to the Denton area in the first week of October, and we're flying out the week of Sept. 6th to look for a house to rent.

I'm still undecided on which city to live in, but think I will go with Innana birth center in Denton.

I'm trying to find a house for rent that will allow a few chickens in the backyard, with no luck yet. If anyone knows which cities in the area even allow chickens, that would be great help! It's hard though with so many HOA's not allowing chickens. Maybe I'll have to forgo this "dream" for now...

Any more advice would be appreciated, thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
hotjai21
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Moving to Denton or DFW area, need advice! where to live, midwives, organic food.

You should be able to find some cute houses near the area and some in a more country setting so you can have your chickens-lol. We used to live in Tioga, (hated it dont recommend) which was about 20min or so from Denton, on hwy377. Aubrey is on 377 too and is a pretty cute town. You can also go towards ft worth. on hwy 35w or dallas on 35e. All are big hwy and easy commute.
hotjai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #13
auntievenom
Registered Users
seller

Argyle or Justin is pretty close too (we are in Keller, 30 minutes south of Denton). The houses are more reasonable on the FW side of Denton than the Dallas side. You get more for your money for sure! There are AWESOME midwives over here and a homebirth association group (search yahoogroups). DFW is the BEST place for birth options I think.

Does Inana do homebirths? I thought they only do birth center births. Were you looking for homebirth? Another birth center is http://allaboutbabies.net/ - sweet ladies and an onsite chiropractor. Lots of waterbirth opportunities in town.

You might also want to come down to a Tarrant County Birth Network meeting (tcbirthnetwork.org) once you get settled in. Great ladies here too! Kathy O'Brien is the hypnobabies instructor I hear the most about, you can google her or find her on the resource list for TCBN.

There is a farmers market in Keller, and we have an organic coop all over the place around here - http://yourhealthsource.org/!

Oh, and if you need CDs on short notice, I sell those too, as well as some great WAHMs around town.

Welcome to Texas! :-)

Last edited by auntievenom; 09-06-2010 at 01:38 PM.
auntievenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
TeamBS
Registered Users
seller

I live in North Oak Cliff in Dallas proper and commute to my job in Lewisville, close to Denton. I go opposite traffic and it takes me -28 mins to work. I was a transplant to Texas and couldn't handle suburban living. We live where we live because its very community oriented (think urban hipsters/artists/granola crunchies meet small town), diverse, and getting greener by the instant. We have an organic co-op store, can have chickens in our backyards (but no roosters), etc.
Our organic co-op store carries lots of brands of meats/cheeses/etc that are local. The only ones I can remember off the top of my head are:
Nitschke Natural Beef- the owners live in my neighborhood, this is some of the best beef I've ever had website: http://nnbeef.com/
Burgundy Pasture Beef (love their hotdogs!): http://www.burgundypasturebeef.com/public_home.php
And, I just realized our Co-ops website has all of them listed with links so here ya go:
http://urbanacres.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/grill-it-up/
TeamBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
sunsh1ne
Registered Users
seller

Thanks all for your posts! I don't know why but I didn't see some of them until just now... but THANK YOU! Your info is so helpful. I'm looking into All About Babies since Inana doesn't do homebirths, and the co-ops you posted sound great!

We actually took a trip to Texas a couple weeks ago and found a house to rent in Little Elm. We really like it there, and it doesn't seem too far away from the things we need... we won't be able to have chickens there, but I'm looking for places to get organic fresh farm eggs. And I can have a small garden in the backyard, so I'll have to start researching how to grow my own fruits and veggies!

Ok, well thanks again for all of your help! We're so excited to be among y'all friendly Texans!