Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any way to prevent Jaundice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2B&I View Post
I read that not cutting the cord right away helps, even if you let it continue pulsing for 3-5 minutes.
It is actually the opposite - this is one of the arguments that is used against delayed cord cutting.

Sorry so nerdy - lots of time to read with bedrested pregnancies.

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter had no jaundice- born at 40 weeks, all-natural birth, delayed cord clamping and no vitamin K. A coworker's baby was born a few months later and had pretty serious jaundice that contributed to greater than average weight loss and early supplementation (although she is able to pump; her baby just decided that bottle-feeding was easier). Her baby was also about 2 weeks early, though. She had the usual hospital procedures, including the vitamin K and immediate cord clamping because she had a c-section.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737 View Post
It is actually the opposite - this is one of the arguments that is used against delayed cord cutting.

I think that the other poster meant that delaying the cord clamping helps to prevent jaundice, so you actually are agreeing
Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We avoided the vit k shot and ibuprofen after the birth. I've read both can increase chances of jaundice. My son had it badly (had the shot and I had ibuprofen), my daughter (who we skipped them with) had a very very mild case, but we never even took her into the doctor. Just fed her a lot and took walks outside.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

This is true. Delayed cord clamping increases the infant's hematocrit (blood levels). Jaundice which requires treatment is caused by the infant's liver being unable to process the products of the normal breakdown of blood. If you increase the blood levels, you increase the amount of normal breakdown and byproducts that result (bilirubin). Increased bilirubin equal jaundice.

There is little you can do to totally prevent jaundice. Some things that increase the risk of jaundice is prematurity, family history of jaundice, and blood type incompatibility. Obviously, you can really control any of these!
newtwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #16
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
from my understanding, the more natural birth you can have, the better the chances are of your baby not having jaundice. i think that when you receive IV fluids, or pitocin, or an epidural, etc. it makes it so that the baby has more impurities in his/her system which can't easily be flushed out. that's what leads to jaundice. (i know i'm not using the medical terms, but it's something along those lines).
good to know! I had pitocin with my first and an epi with my second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memykidsandty View Post
My first two babies had the Vit K shot and no jaundice. My 3rd baby had Vit K DROPS and no jaundice. I've never heard that correlation--interesting.

I've always heard to let your baby have 5-10 min of sunshine per day and our ped. told me that the more they nurse and the more they pee/poo, the less they risk being jaundice. I've always followed that advice and never have had a baby with jaundice. I nurse my babies every hour or two in the early days...
They both nursed like champs and were fine within a day or so of leaving the hospital when I COULD get to the sunshine, but I'm more concerned with immediately after birth. They wouldn't let us leave the hospital.

Quote:
Don't have a preemie.

All three of mine were jaundiced and all three were preemies.

Report from Standford Medical:
Does vitamin K cause jaundice?

* There were reports of hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia severe enough to cause kernicterus in the mid 1950s with high doses (50mg) of vitamin K2 (menadione). As a result, use of this form of vitamin K was abandoned. We now give infants vitamin K1 (phytonadione). Vitamin K1 has been associated with hyperbilirubinemia only in high doses (25 – 30mg) particularly in preemies, though the effect was present to a lesser degree in term infants. This has not been a problem at therapeutic doses, though this concern is why we give babies <1500g a smaller (0.5mg) dose

Kinda interesting.
Both of mine were 41weeks +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2B&I View Post
I read that not cutting the cord right away helps, even if you let it continue pulsing for 3-5 minutes.
will check to see if that's an option at my hospital!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #17
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtwinmom View Post
This is true. Delayed cord clamping increases the infant's hematocrit (blood levels). Jaundice which requires treatment is caused by the infant's liver being unable to process the products of the normal breakdown of blood. If you increase the blood levels, you increase the amount of normal breakdown and byproducts that result (bilirubin). Increased bilirubin equal jaundice.

There is little you can do to totally prevent jaundice. Some things that increase the risk of jaundice is prematurity, family history of jaundice, and blood type incompatibility. Obviously, you can really control any of these!
that's what I figured/was afraid of. But I guess I will see if this one has it...I definitely plan to go the all natural route. We'll see what else I can control!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #18
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

My DD had jaundice, and had the vit K shot, and I had 3 bags of IV antibiotics before she was born.

DS was born at home, no vit K shot, no jaundice.

I also ate better with DS's pregnancy than with DD's.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:40 AM   #19
Cathypie
Registered Users
seller

that really stinks that they made you stay in the hossy because of it. DD had jaundice and they still let us go home at like 36 hours. they had a nurse come out to the house every morning and check her levels. we ended up having to rent a blanket but only used it for less than a day. maybe talk to your ped about it.