Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What can I expect with an early pregnancy ultrasound?

This is my fourth pregnancy and I've never had a scan before 20 weeks. The nurse said they're just checking dates (which I'm *certain* of) and making sure everything is ok. So, what's "everything"? Is this fairly common?

Right now I'm 5 weeks and when they do the scan I'll be almost 7 weeks. I thought they just did early scans if they suspected something is wrong? I haven't even *seen* my Dr. yet, btw.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
tjsacosta
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What can I expect with an early pregnancy ultrasound?

My doctor always does a scan around 7 weeks to date the pregnancy even if you are 100% certain of the dates. The earlier they do an ultrasound the more acurrate the due date is. You will see your little blob and the heartbeat but you won't be able to hear it. If your doc has a good machine you should be able to see the forming limbs. LOL I always liked having the early scan to see the pinky nail sized baby in me I will have a scan done on the 6th at 7 weeks.

Last edited by tjsacosta; 09-28-2010 at 01:37 PM.
tjsacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

8 week ultrasounds are standard at my office. Measuring gestational age is much more accurate in early pregnancy, so they do it to confirm dates. They also check for viability (there should be a heartbeat at this point), and screen for multiples. It also confirms that the pregnancy is in the uterus. No worries, I'm sure they don't suspect anything is wrong!

I, too, was VERY certain of my dates. But I was still happy to have an ultrasound -- seeing the heartbeat eased my anxiety, and when they measured the baby to be exactly what I thought (8 wks 2 days), I felt really good that everything was on track. Beyond that, they can't really measure anything at this point -- there is just a blob and a heartbeat, lol.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
supergirljennie
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

More than likely, it will be an internal transvaginal ultrasound. I thought that would be worth mentioning, lol.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My OB does an ultrasound at the first appointment for dating purposes with everyone too. I'm glad to have had it done because I have also learned that the early ultrasounds are most accurate for dating and just because YOU know the date is right on doesn't mean your Dr. will believe that. My sister didn't have any ultrasounds until 20 weeks and her date was switched on her over and over and over. I think if she'd had an early one they would have more likely gone on that instead.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep, I've always had an early dating one too. Mine for this pregnancy is on Thursday!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirljennie View Post
More than likely, it will be an internal transvaginal ultrasound. I thought that would be worth mentioning, lol.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Thank you everyone for letting me know what will go on and what some of the things are that they check for. I had no idea that the earlier a scan is done, the more accurate the due date. Like I said, I'm certain of my dates, just a cool tid-bit.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Ola_
Registered Users

Many OBs do early ultrasounds but it's still up to you if you would like one or not. The other thing that they look for is whether the baby is at the expected size for the gestational age (i.e. if the baby is smaller then it may mean it stopped developing). At a certain point they can also see the heartbeat, not sure if at 7 weeks they will.

Personally I'm seeing a midwife and while she has the ability to order ultrasounds, she also explains the pros and cons and leaves the decision up to you. And even though an OB may not explicitly give you the choice, you can still decline if you would like to.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote