Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma
My Mood:
Re: How did you choose your labour method?

I like the moaning and roaring method

Really though, I read various books with my first 4 kids but always just went with an epidural.. back then I thought I was so informed and educated cause I watched A Baby Story and those Birth shows on Discovery Health LOL.
When I began researching NATURAL childbirth and WHY people choose that route.. I changed my mind and was determined to go natural with my 5th baby. So we did a homebirth and I studied hypnobirthing. I FULLY believed that because I would be at home and comfortable that my pain would be comfortable compared to my previous hospital births. I felt confident in my practice sessions each night and really focused on having a pain free spiritual beautiful amazing birth. I watched countless videos of women smiling through transition and even laughing while their baby is crowning. I was SURE I would be one of those women!
So when labor day came and things started to get painful, I was like what is going on?! I then began beating myself up, that I was doing something wrong... why was I feeling pain, I'm not supposed to... I was so distracted with those thoughts of WHY I was feeling pain that it made it harder to DEAL WITH the pain. I just kept thinking "I'm not scared, I'm comfortable at home, why am I having pain?!?!"
I was disappointed and I think that kind of made it hard to get through labor.. but I did, and had a great homebirth, but I muttered "Never f'n again!" And I went all anti-natural childbirth after that experience LOL.

Now I'm pregnant again... and originally my plan was OB and epidural. But then a friend of mine recently went to the hospital and through their interventions, ended up with a C-section.. well that brought back all my reasons why I want to do it natural and at home.

So now I am preparing for my natural childbirth.. and this time I feel a lot better in knowing what to expect, that YES its going to hurt.. some women have amazing peaceful orgasmic births- but not me. Oh well. I can deal with the pain, I feel much more prepared this time. I don't feel like I'm failing if I'm moaning instead of silently meditating as I saw in some videos.
I have no issues now with vocalizing through my contractions- cause that REALLY did help.. but as I was moaning through, even though the pain was bearable, my brain just kept thinking "Well look, you failed at hypnobirthing."

Maybe hypnobabies is different and I will look into it. I just don't think it's fair to get women psyched up for a pain-free labor. Some really do have pain-free labors.. I have a friend who went to the hospital at 6 cm and had NO pain, didn't even realize she was in real labor.. but she got the epidural anyways, in case it hurt later LOL.
Then there's women like me.. is it my small hips and my body has to work harder to push things out and move things down, I have no idea.. but it is PAINFUL! But that's OK, I can deal with that. I am better prepared mentally this time.

Sorry this was so long.

TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote