Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Pap smear during pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon's Mama View Post
I'm surprised your midwife would do that at 35 weeks. It hasn't been that long since your last one and if you are low risk, you should see if she'll wait until your 6 week post partum check. I haven't had one in about 18 months either and I just switched back to my OB and he has no problem waiting until my PP check up, he actually suggested it. I'm low risk and haven't changed partners so he felt more comfortable just leaving it alone until he is going to be up there anyway you know.
I understand what you are saying. However, I think she has to operate under certain strict criteria that allow her to perform homebirths legally as a free-standing, independent midwife. Some of those criteria are more stringent than others. For instance. she absolutely cannot deliver for you if you have multpiles, gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, and some other stuff. I *believe* this is one of those types of things - that the patient has to have had a normal pap in the last 12 months. In addition to that, I don't have the medical records from that pap, so that complicates things.

This may be one of those situations where she has to abide by the rules to keep her license. I'm not sure. I thought I asked but I can't remember her response. Bottom line is I'll have to talk to her again and see what she says.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
karcher26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it is that type of situation, then you have to weigh the benefits of staying with the MW. I ran into a similar situation with my CNM at the clinic when I wanted to refuse the glucose test, she said they would no longer be able to treat me if I refused. So I did the test to stay with their group.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
jessesgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: jesses
seller

My Mood:

I had mine around 14 weeks. Even if my OB would NOT have insisted, I'd have requested it. I have mine every six months so that puts me about right for a post partum one.

Visit Jaleigh Bean Bowtique on the WAHM boards! Also, visit my fan page!
jessesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well if you have to have it done I would do it now rather than later...it just seems a little risky to mess around up there so close to your due date you know? I had my last one done I think at my 12 week appointment with DS and I think its pretty normal to have one done at that point in pregnancy, but I'm almost 23 weeks now and just switched to my OB so thats why we had the conversation about it so late. Too bad you can't wait...I hate getting them! When I was pregnant with DS I was so brave about being messed with down there, like I had my OB strip my membranes twice! Now after giving birth I'm like nobody touch me! I've had enough pain down there lol!
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have gotten my pap smear at my first appointment with all three of my pregnancies. At 9 weeks with my first, 8 weeks with my second, and almost 11 weeks with this one. No harm came from any of them or bleeding or even any discomfort after the fact.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #16
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure what a mama would be worried about in a pap? I mean, I have sex when pregnant. And a pap is just a qtip swab. So as far as invasiveness to the cervix goes, I can't think of what it would be.

I get one. I think it's important to get one annually, and unless you've just had it, you'll miss it while pregnant. Mine is due in a month, so I would rather not wait until next summer to get it.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

She doesn't HAVE to. She likes to. It's ACOG recommended. I always declined until my PP visit. But then, I kept my pants on through my entire pregnancies. Until the birth of course.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #18
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, it's more than just a qtip. It's actually a brush with bristles meant to scrape INSIDE the cervix. It can break the mucous plug, which allows increased risk of infection. There is also a HIGH change of false positive results for dysplasia, and then they would want a biopsy, etc.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had two different low-intervention OBs, and both did it at the first appointment. They check for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea as well. They billed my insurance $738 for it, which totally sucks because we have an HSA and that seems a bit ridiculous! It really doesn't affect the cervix much. Doesn't even hurt, and the swab is sterile.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
Ola_
Registered Users

I understand what you mean about being an independent midwife, but I would be very surprised if having a recent pap was in the same category as having GD or a multiple pregnancy. And I don't think having someone scraping your cervix is the same as having sex - for example it's not unusual to have spotting after a pap smear but for most women that doesn't happen when they have sex.

For chlamydia and gonorrhea my midwife tests with a urine sample, which is much less invasive, otherwise I would have declined it as well. But it all depends on your comfort level of course. My personal preference is to keep hands out of my vagina as much as possible, especially during early pregnancy when statistically many more things can go wrong.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote