Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
x3atthisvolume
Registered Users
seller
seller

Contractions...painful but not regular?

Hi mommas! So I'm 39 weeks and for the last 24 hours I've been having painful contractions...the most recent ones being incredibly painful. There's no way I can walk or talk through them. HOWEVER, they aren't regular. Sometimes I'll have four an hour, then have 1 every 3 minutes for about half an hour, then not have any for 30 minutes, etc etc. There's no pattern. We went to a movie and they were so steady and painful I was sure we'd be on our way to the hospital by the end of the movie, and then they completely stopped 20 minutes before the movie ended. Then they came back half an hour after we got home, and had me writhing in pain for about 40 minutes. Now we're on another 30 minute break.

I don't think I can go in to L&D until they're rhythmic and a steady 2-3 minutes apart...is there anything I can do to get these regular? My husband just got home from Iraq on leave yesterday so the sooner baby boy shows up the better. I wasn't having any contractions until we DTD, would a round 2 help? LOL

Advertisement

x3atthisvolume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Contractions...painful but not regular?

I would call L&D and see what they say.

I would start walking.. Just keep going until they are regular!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Walking, orgasm, and nipple stimulation would probably get things regular. Just stop the nipple stim when you have a contraction.

I was a doula for a woman who was having pretty intense contractions for a long time, but they were totally irregular. Closer together than yours, like 8 minutes, then 3, then 2, then 8 again, etc. No rhythm. Everything I was taught said to wait until they have been in a pattern for an hour, so we hadn't even called her doctor yet. Well, suddenly baby practically flew out into my hands (yes, in her bathroom too) so I will never assume that contractions HAVE to be in a pattern again!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:

My 5th baby was like this... it was seriously like 24 hours from beginning to end, but the first 21 hours were very irregular.. it wasn't until the last 3 hours that it was regular every 3 minutes, and then he was born
So it could pick up any moment now, good luck!
TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like it will be soon. I'd get out walking and see what happens

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is possible for them to be irregular right up until baby is born. That's how my aunt's labor was with her 4th baby.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
x3atthisvolume
Registered Users
seller
seller

They've slowed down a lot. *sigh* Now if only it would stop raining so I could go walking! Sounds like a good excuse to drag the husband shopping...
x3atthisvolume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

when i was in labor i didnt even know it. i had a sharp pain which was the contraction for about 10 seconds and it was every 2 mins....but they were so short i didnt think it was real. GL! you sound so close
Old 09-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
tedcgh
Registered Users
seller
seller

As pp stated, walking/dancing, stay active, DTD unless your water breaks, nipple stim. DD was 2 days of irregular back labor before my water broke and I thought I should go in. I was a 4+, and once I got to 5 cm they stayed regular. Good luck. Sounds close.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes get walking, but my first baby contrax didn't get regular for a long time...just keep them going...They'll regulate when things start to progress...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote