Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DIY- fleece liner measurements

I bought some fleece from the fabric store to make my own liners. I've never used any kind of liner and I have no idea what size I should cut this fabric to. I have a 2.5 year old toddler in cloth and in 8 days I'll have a newborn......so I'm assuming that I'll need two different sizes. Can anyone help me with measurements for both toddler and infant liners?

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Chagen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DIY- fleece liner measurements

I just cut rectangles nothing fancy and they worked just fine. However, if I were to ever do it again I would just trace a momma pad and go from there. I would just use one size for both but I am just lazy like that.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagen View Post
I just cut rectangles nothing fancy and they worked just fine. However, if I were to ever do it again I would just trace a momma pad and go from there. I would just use one size for both but I am just lazy like that.
If I had them all one big size wouldn't I have to fold the liner up a lot to fit in a newborn/small diaper? Would it still wick the moisture away if it had to go through 3 or 4 folded layers? I could see potential problems there, but maybe not???
Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have some Bummis liners and worked off of those to make a bunch myself. I couldn't find any fleece that was like the bummis fleece at the fabric store, but found 2 layers of it in a blanket I wasn't using anymore. The bummis liners are about 4 1/2 inches by 13-14 inches. They are working well with my GMD oranges and yellows trifolded and in my Dream-eze smalls and Grovia AIO's on smallest setting.

Does regular fleece work, too? The Bummis liners are so thin.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
I have some Bummis liners and worked off of those to make a bunch myself. I couldn't find any fleece that was like the bummis fleece at the fabric store, but found 2 layers of it in a blanket I wasn't using anymore. The bummis liners are about 4 1/2 inches by 13-14 inches. They are working well with my GMD oranges and yellows trifolded and in my Dream-eze smalls and Grovia AIO's on smallest setting.

Does regular fleece work, too? The Bummis liners are so thin.
Everything I've read says that regular fleece works! As long as you don't get the super thick kind. I have no first hand experience though.....this will be my first time using any kind of liner.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just cut to whatever divides easily into the piece of fabric I have (I buy remnants)...the last ones I just made were 4"x9.5" but they are to go with a gift for newbies...so they are shorter than I normally do...but really no matter the size I make they work out fine..if it is a smaller piece I put it closer to the back of the diaper - to catch more poo...

OH and prewash a couple times - to get all the fluffies out...and they will shrink even more after several more washes - just FYI

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Chagen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetabean View Post
If I had them all one big size wouldn't I have to fold the liner up a lot to fit in a newborn/small diaper? Would it still wick the moisture away if it had to go through 3 or 4 folded layers? I could see potential problems there, but maybe not???
I always just folded the diaper how I wanted it and then put the liner on top of the fold.. I am sure with a newborn you may have to fold down the liner but that wouldn't matter much to me as I have to fold down the prefold anyways. Are you making wicking wetness away liners or poo liners?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
coopsadaisy
Registered Users
seller

I made some last month and someone here (Rachel?) told me to cut at 5X14 for a medium setting. It's worked great!
coopsadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagen View Post
I always just folded the diaper how I wanted it and then put the liner on top of the fold.. I am sure with a newborn you may have to fold down the liner but that wouldn't matter much to me as I have to fold down the prefold anyways. Are you making wicking wetness away liners or poo liners?
Both. But now I'm confused! lol Is there a difference between the 2? I thought the fleece did both at the same time.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Chagen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe I need to shut up... I was just thinking if it was for poo only then laying the liner on top wouldn't work so well, thats all. Just make yourself two sizes. Grab ya a pad of each size you need, trace, cut, wa-la or do what some of these sweet mommies suggest. Sorry for the confusion!