Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #31
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home Birth V.S. Hospital Birth

An incompetant doctor in a hospital setting can set you up for serious problems.

An incompetant midwife at home can set you up for problems.

It is important to find a GOOD health care provider, be at a location that is appropriate to your 'risk level', AND be where you feel most comfortable (in that order!).

I'm a die hard home birther, but if I or my midwife (whom I love dearly and trust immensely) thought I should be in the hospital, that's where I would be. But I WILL NOT go there JUST because of the 'what ifs'.

I don't walk everywhere because of the 'what ifs' of driving a car. No. I take precautions when driving (I wear my seatbelt, I make sure I KNOW how to drive, etc...). When I birth at home, I make sure I know how to handle situations should I be alone, or that I have a HCP that knows what she's doing! We have either herbs (if I'm alone) or Rx drugs (like pitocin, oxygen, etc... if my midwife is with us). I make sure the phone is handy and that 911 can be called if necessary. I don't do things that would alter the natural state of labor, and that way if something seems off kilter, it's a warning sign, not a side effect of something 'silly' I did.

Now, I know driving is not even remotely related to birthing, but my point is that everything in life has risks - all we can do is evaluate those risks and make a decision that is best for us/our family. The answer will be different for everyone, not one thing is right or wrong - and NOTHING is inherently evil.

To the OP: keep open communication with your husband and stress the importance of this decision. Good luck!

Advertisement

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!

Last edited by Kaboom; 10-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote