Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Sick Baby Question **UPDATE AND MORE QUESTIONS***

My almost 5 month old is sick! He was running a fever ALL.NIGHT.LONG and tylenol didn't really touch it. He only gets breastmilk to eat, either in the bottle while I'm at work or he eats on demand while I'm with him.

My question is this...while he is running the fever he doesn't really want to eat. He hasn't really eaten well in a couple of days. He will nibble here and there, mainly only wanting the foremilk. He starts gagging and pulling off when the hindmilk starts coming through. So do I need to be pumping? he is having "plenty" of wet and poopie diapers for a sick baby, but I don't want my supply to drop. So should I pump when he is done "comfort suckling?"

Any advice?
UPDATE and More questions

So we went to the doctor yesterday b/c I couldn't get his fever down for over 18 hours. Turns out the poor little guy has a double ear infection. WE all agreed that it was probably bacterial since the fever started a couple of days after the initial onset of other symptoms and that the other symptoms were caused by a virus and the bacterial ear infection was our 2nd prize Anyway, he is now on amoxill for the next 10 days. So do I need tow orry about thrush in me or him? If so how do I combat it? I have never had thrush before but this is my first EBF child.

Advertisement

Last edited by Lanasmom; 10-04-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Lanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sick Baby Question

when he starts feeling better he'll eat more and your supply will/should also keep up

you should be ok. if you do notice a drop after then you can also pump to help but really, just a few days (esp. after 5 mos) and continuing to pump during the day and a few short nursing sessions shouldn't set you back so much. relax and hope he feels better soon
Old 10-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sick Baby Question

aww, poor logan. He's probably thirsty, not really hungry. I would probably pump, but I've had supply issues and would welcome more of a freezer stash than the measly three bottles that's in there now. Hope he gets to feeling better soon!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sick Baby Question **UPDATE AND MORE QUESTIONS***

BUMP
Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can take some probiotics and eat extra yogurt. I wouldn't worry about it. If you start to see signs then attack the problem.

But let the antibiotics do their job on his infection. I wouldn't douse him with probiotics (you'll use up the antibiotic medicine killing the good bacteria)
it will kill all it needs to kill, let it go through.

like I said, you up your own probiotics, then when he's done his course you can supplement him a bit with his own to replenish the good bacteria that was also killed.
those are my

sorry he's not feeling well. I suggest a chiro too for baby
Old 10-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I'd wait like the pp said. A little of it can depend on your personal chemistry. I've nursed three babies now and given them antibiotics/needed them myself a few times. Never had thrush.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote