Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Registered Users
bottle vrs breast

My 3 week old dd is spitting up like crazy and screaming after feedings. My dh thinks I should pump and offer a bottle so we can rule out an over active letdown. Is that crazy? Would it work?

She also has a little green/yellow mucus in her spitup. And it comes out her nose.

If it were merely a laundry issue, I could cope...but she seems like she's in pain.

Sara - married to my hardworking husband , mother to a 2 year old boy , and new baby girl (who was a successful VBAC! - Yahoo!)
covermybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: bottle vrs breast

That could be reflux. My DD spit up like crazy, and the doc asked if she would scream after because that could be a sign of reflux. Luckily for us, it was just a laundry issue. Hope yours settles down!
greenmama52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: bottle vrs breast

It definitely could be reflux. It sounds pretty forceful. Also, have you tried eliminating anything from your diet? If baby is allergic or sensitive to anything you are eating, it could be causing this problem. My baby spit up like crazy. He wasn't really bothered by it, but around 3 months he started to lose weight because he spit up so much. I found out dairy sensitivities can cause it and cut out dairy. He is so much better. He still spits up a lot, but he is gaining again. It's something to try.

I wouldn't do the bottle thing. Baby may reject the breast if you offer too many bottles. It's not a risk I would take. Over-active let-down will cause baby to spit, sputter and choke at the beginning of the feeding. Often, if baby pops off, you will continue to spray milk (I didn't with mine, but lots of woman do). There are lots of things you can do to help with it. Just google it. Good luck!
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote