Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
kristawithak
Registered Users
seller

Trainer Question

How many trainers do you recommend purchasing? (I wash diapers about every 2-3 days.)

Tell me your waterproof/non-waterproof pros and cons. What kind do you like and why?

I'm not planning to start working with my 2 year old until January, when he is 2.5, but I want to slowly start building a stash and gathering supplies.

Thanks ladies!

Advertisement

kristawithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trainer Question

Just wondering why you're not going to start until he's 2.5?
Personally, I don't really see a point in waterproof trainers. IMO, they're just diapers. We got 4 waffle knit trainers and I thought I'd need more but DS is doing so well that I'll think our next step will be to just get regular undies. I personally wouldn't recommend building a stash until you get started and get a feel for how your LO is doing and the rate of his progression. Just get a few to start and go from there.
Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
kristawithak
Registered Users
seller

I just picked 2.5 years because I know lots of boys don't start training until closer to 3. And 2.5 years will be January, so after our holiday traveling.

Okay, thanks for your input. I have 4 waterproof trainers now and some extra-absorbent undies now. We did some experimenting with the potty last week, and just as I suspected, he isn't ready. He doesn't understand peeing quite yet.
kristawithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No trainers...

It's up to you really, when you train - but actually, IMO a lot of boys could learn to use the toilet a LOT earlier than they are given credit for, and also IMO, not knowing what the potty is for right away doesn't mean they aren't ready to learn. In most cases in our culture, they've spent their entire one, two or three years of life using a diaper, and thinking that this is where they are supposed to pee and poop - so it may take some time for them to adjust to not using it. I also think it's a lot easier to teach them about peeing when they are able to see what is happening, personally, even if it means accidents at first.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

we just use gerber cotton training pants, they are a lot like underwear, but hold a little pee. And they are very affordable. I get three for $6.50 locally. I also think it depends how quick your LO catches on. But if you want to get fancy trainers, then maybe buy anywhere from 5-10. You'll find lots of different opinions on boys though, same as how many different methods there are to get them out of diapers, whatever you want to call all the methods.
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the 4 trainers you have is good for now. you can always addd more later, after you see how he is doing.
We started at 30 months with DD. I didn't think she was ready, but she did well. I told her one day "tomorrow we are going to stay home and you can wear panties." we had only 2 accidents that day. She still wears diapers to sleep. She wears underwear at home, and either pull-ups or trainers for outings. We did mostly pulll-ups because she was apprehensive about public toilets. Recently she's been better and we've been taking her out in trainers. I only have 4. She hasn't been wetting them so one lasts all day. I thought I was going to need more, but since we didn't push her more than she was ready, we're fine with the 4. I could probably do underwear for outings now, but I'll give it a week or two more. I'm just afraid of long drives and getting stuck in traffic.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
No trainers...

It's up to you really, when you train - but actually, IMO a lot of boys could learn to use the toilet a LOT earlier than they are given credit for, and also IMO, not knowing what the potty is for right away doesn't mean they aren't ready to learn. In most cases in our culture, they've spent their entire one, two or three years of life using a diaper, and thinking that this is where they are supposed to pee and poop - so it may take some time for them to adjust to not using it. I also think it's a lot easier to teach them about peeing when they are able to see what is happening, personally, even if it means accidents at first.

I suggest doing bare bum time around the house for the first couple days. That way, if/when he has an accident it'll go right down his legs and onto the floor. My DS wasn't a fan of this happening and I think he made the connection of the feeling of peeing with the outcome pretty quick that way.
Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
No trainers...

Good point

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote