Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
TooCuteTe
Registered Users
seller

Question Cant pull his pants up and down alone PLESE HELP!!

DS is almost 2 and is potty trained at home BUT only if he is naked. He cant pull his pants off by himself and doesnt realy ask to go potty he just goes running off to the potty when he needs to go. I dont know what kind of trainers to get him so that he can dake it off by himself. He is having a problem understanding that not all cloths are diapers.
I am just at a loss as to what to do? I feel like we just need to be done with diapers for him to get the picture but I cant go out with out putting a diaper on him. I am starting to wonder if I should just wait till he is older or if I am just missing some other option.

Advertisement

TooCuteTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cant pull his pants up and down alone PLESE HELP!!

my son is 3.5 and cant do that half the time! but he is potty traind and lets us know when he has to go. i thnk just put him in regular underwear and have him ring a bell that is next to the toilet when he has to go if he doesnt tell you. that way you can hear him? and come help take his pants off.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We started with bare bum time and after my DS seemed to be doing pretty well with that I started putting him in sweatpants or just regular undies around the house so that he could get used to the feeling of wearing something but if he had an accident he would be fully aware of it still since the undies/pants would't contain it and it would end up on the floor. I know it means a little extra laundry but I think it's a good step and he'll eventually grasp the concept of wearing clothing but not doing his business in them. As for pulling his own pants up and down, I don't really know any almost 2 year olds who are proficient at that. My DS (who will be 22 months on the 15th) certainly doesn't pull his own pants up and down. We're done with diapers now but going to the potty is still fully assisted by me. I take him there, I pull his pants down and place him on the potty, I wipe his bum if need be, and then I pull his pants up for him. He just started trying to help me when I pull his pants up, but he can't do it by himself quite yet. My DS also doesn't tell me when he has to go for the most part. But I take him to the potty every 1 to 2 hours and he holds it in between. The fact that my DS is out of diapers and has pretty good bladder and bowel control is enough to make me very proud of him. And I know that him letting me know every time he has to go will come in time, and so will pulling his pants up and down. We're taking it one step at a time and that's what I suggest you do too. Don't expect so much of him. You say he's pretty much day trained at home if he's bare bum...well that's a great start! Please don't cease PLing all together because he's not as advanced as you want him to be. It sounds to me like he's doing just fine. Just have some patience

Last edited by Qbit; 10-07-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
jessnye
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I could have written that exact OP, haha. And let me guess- if he has pants/underwear on, he still sits on the potty to go but just goes in his pants. My son is 28 months and that's what he does. He IS now physically able to pull down loose pants, but he does NOT get the whole multi-step process. I think it's just a matter of development and it will come eventually.
jessnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
TooCuteTe
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnye View Post
I could have written that exact OP, haha. And let me guess- if he has pants/underwear on, he still sits on the potty to go but just goes in his pants. My son is 28 months and that's what he does. He IS now physically able to pull down loose pants, but he does NOT get the whole multi-step process. I think it's just a matter of development and it will come eventually.
YE he does do that!
TooCuteTe is offline   Reply With Quote