Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
ArmandoNinaMama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Need Encouragement from fellow Mamas

Started Potty Training my 25 month old daughter on Friday 10/1/2010.. I know I know loooong time right? er...No.

But since Friday, she has only used the potty at home at most 2 a day usually just once. Today not at all. Accident after accident. I have different potties one in kitchen, one in playroom and one upstairs. She sits on them when I ask her to and says "I'm finished" and gets up after doing nothing and then will have an accident right after.

With my son he learned in a week he was almost 2.5 when he learned. I'm afraid I started too soon with her but feel that once you start you should not go back to diapers. I only put a pullup during nap time at school on top of her undies so she can feel the wet during the week. And at home on weekends and a regular diaper at night.

She can hold it in for hours. At school holds it until playtime and then goes about 12:30 on herself and she holds it in the car on the way home. I try her before we leave school and soon as we get home and nothing shortly after it comes pouring down and poop too sometimes. She announces it right after she finished or after she started. Luckily she goes to a Montessori school where I work and the teachers are great.

I know it's tough work and requires a lot of patience and we can't get mad at accidents. I just need encouraging words telling me I'm doing the right thing and she will get it even if it's months from now and even if she keeps having accidents everyday but I just want her to use the potty/toilet at least once or twice a day then I'll feel better but not using it at all is very discouraging and makes me doubt this was a good idea.

Thanks in advance mamas!

Advertisement

Silly, Loving 6 YO Big Brother
ArmandoNinaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: Need Encouragement from fellow Mamas

Does she know WHY you want her to do this? I know she's young, but think about why YOU use a toilet (hygienic, clean, comfortable, back to playing faster, less bulk, no diaper changes, dry!) - and then teach her to want to do it for herself. Let her be a part of things when you go... so she sees it as normal.

Accidents happen, she can help clean them up - but she's not in trouble. (and i think it sounds like you're already doing that) Because it's not YOUR thing - let her own it! She's doing this for herself. ya know? Not to make you happy or please her teachers.

You can try making potty time fun! Even before leaving school, etc. Bring a book, sing a song, tickle her toes (and run some water? ) Explain to her that it's EVER so much more comfortable to ride home in dry clothes rather than wet ones!

Does she have to wear a pull up at school? I think (like you about not going back!) but also one step further, why do they wear pull ups while out and at night, when we're saying that they shouldn't use a diaper anymore? So, they can pee on themselves when we say so, but otherwise it's not ok? It's a bit of a mixed signal, I believe. The less she can be in a pull up or diaper the better!

A little extra (or a lot!) laundry is worth it for a few weeks!

GL mama! It will pass! She'll be out of diapers before you know it and you'll be looking back wondering where the time went

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
ArmandoNinaMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

aww Thank you all things I know but I just needed to hear it...Only time she wears a diaper is at night (which is what I did with my son and it worked with him) and she wears a pull up at nap at school because they have carpeting. But she used the potty last night at home (while I was using the toilet) and she did again today at school. All I need is to see her use it at least once a day or every couple of days to stay encouraged. I know it will take time but your words helped! Thanks! I know the time flies..now that she is potty training I'm getting the baby itch but logically I think I'm done with my boy and girl--feel so blessed but who knows lol
Old 10-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
ArmandoNinaMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

fyi she's still in a crib...hoping to get her a big girl bed within the next month or so and then we can do the potty training night. with my son however I kept the diaper at night and after 2-3 weeks of potty training, he was waking up dry so I took it off and wala! he was easy but he was a bit older too 2 1/2...
Old 10-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
MyPreciousKid
Registered Users

You are doing fine. I would keep going. Keep it positive. Reward every success. Praise everytime she sits. Help her clean up quickly after each accident. You are using cloth underwear right? I tell moms give it a solid 2 weeks in cloth panties and ususally the light comes on. Set a time and take her once an hour.
My Precious Kid - Child Safety & Safe Baby Store including products for: Child Proofing, Cloth Diapers, ID Bracelets, Potty Training, Swaddle Blankets, Baby Sleep, Baby Feeding & Car Seats. Over 1600 products in my store! Coupon Code 10CSID
MyPreciousKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Sakari
Registered Users

You're welcome! You're doing great! Keep it up!!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
ArmandoNinaMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you mamas!! it clicked. She went on potty at school Thursday and at home after my son's football practice. Then Friday at school once only one accident at school and home 1-2 accidents and once on potty before bed. Saturday--slept through nap without a pull-up and no accident..only had one accident throughout the whole day. the at night I put a diaper she woke up about 3am and her diaper was full put her on potty didn't go but I put on a underwear after and was dry in morning. Today Sunday, NO accidents all in the potty!!!

Woo-hoo great advice wait at least two weeks at least before you start to get discouraged and then don't get discouraged keep going. They will get it. It was a week Friday (10/7) I was going to give it a month but she got it--I'm sure there will be plenty more accidents which I don't care about at all. Cuz she is actually using it now but she does prefer the toilet to the potty---no problem with that!! so happy!!! All I wanted was for her to use it once a day or every two days so I knew that she knew what was going on but she got it! I love it!! next step----no pacifier during the naptime and nighttime. (on next post)
Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Sakari
Registered Users

That's great!