Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
-Blair-
Registered Users

WARNING HAND SANITIZER

HAND SANITIZER WARNING

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp

Ok. I don't know where to begin because the last 2 days of my life have been such a blur. Yesterday, My youngest daughter Halle who is 4, was rushed to the emergancy room by her father for being severely lethargic and incoherent. He was called to her school by the school secretary for being "very VERY sick." He told me that when he arrived that Halle was barely sitting in the chair. She couldn't hold her own head up and when he looked into her eyes, she couldn't focus them.

He immediately called me after he scooped her up and rushed her to the ER. When we got there, they ran blood test after blood test and did x-rays, every test imaginable. Her white blood cell count was normal, nothing was out of the ordinary. The ER doctor told us that he had done everything that he could do so he was sending her to Saint Francis for further test.

Right when we were leaving in the ambulance, her teacher had come to the ER and after questioning Halle's classmates, we found out that she had licked hand sanitizer off her hand. Hand sanitizer, of all things.

But it makes sense. These days they have all kinds of differents scents and when you have a curious child, they are going to put all kinds of things in their mouths.

When we arrived at Saint Francis, we told the ER doctor there to
check her blood alcohol level, which, yes we did get weird looks from it but they did it. The results were her blood alcohol level was 85% and this was 6 hours after we first took her. Theres no telling what it would have been if we would have tested it at the first ER.

Since then, her school and a few surrounding schools have taken this out of the classrooms of all the lower grade classes but whats to stop middle and high schoolers too? After doing research off the internet, we have found out that it only takes 3 squirts of the stuff to be fatal in a toddler. For her blood alcohol level to be so high was to compare someone her size to drinking something 120 proof. So please PLEASE don't disregard this because I don't ever want anyone to go thru what my family and I have gone thru. Today was a little better but not much.

Please send this to everyone you know that has children or are having children. It doesn't matter what age. I just want people to know the dangers of this.

Thank you
Lacey Butler and family

------

And a friend of mine also added on to this the following:
Just to let you all know - if you use mouthwash in the home as well - use the NON-ALCOHOLIC kind. This is how my sister attempted suicide by injesting an entire CostCo sized bottle of SCOPE. It's the new teenage thing. She had a belly tube at the time so she used her belly tube to injest it - had she drank it all it would've burnt a whole in her esophagas (sp).

Advertisement

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WARNING HAND SANITIZER

I'd never have thought about that. Really, though, it's just like anything else. A wonderful thing if used the right way, never to be left with a child alone.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

OMG Blair - I am so glad your dd is OK! Thank you so much for the warning - I never would have thought!!

Tara
Old 05-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had no idea there was that much alcohol in hand sanitizer!

Thanks for sharing the snope report.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
scifimama
Registered Users

omg! i have a gallon of hand sanitizer! i'm glad it's locked it under the sink! i'm glad your dc is okay. and thanks for the warning!