Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #1291
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flats Picture Thread

Oh and if you have only prepped them twice, that could be a big factor as well. I had to prep mine I would say at least 5 or 6 times before they REALLY started being as absorbent as they are. But I just used them, changed them often and then put them in the regular diaper wash since I hate running separate prepping washes. And pretty soon they were fully prepped.

Advertisement

ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #1292
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I use a LL flat and a preemie prefold for a doubler. I use the kite fold and I fold the prefold into the flat ahead of time...like this:

Then when I pull the front panel between his legs, and I kinda spread it out and the top. Then I pull the wings up and out from behind, while holding/pulling the front panel. That keeps the legholes nice and tight.

Are you storing your pins in a bar of soap. Or, you can slide them accross your forehead or through your hair to get a little bit of grease on them, before inserting them. Gross, but it works!

Last edited by stephcrouse; 10-15-2010 at 07:51 AM.
stephcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #1293
fergiesgirl86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

they i THINK are osocozy? i got the pins and flats in a co-op order that i placed months ago, i have forgotten. i had some dritz and they weren't bent (except where they are supposed to be)

i also hate prep washes. that's why i did the bare minimum and will judge later when they have been washed quite a few times. i know that DS can't pee right thru a yellow GMD that has been prepped or a LL reg absorbency, they will be a little damp, but not WET, and definitely no puddles. so i'm hoping that i don't REALLY need doublers yet, just more prepping.

as a rule DS isn't a real heavy wetter. i have half a recieving blanket (six layers) or a 2 layer bamboo preflat folded in half in his FBs. i make sure he has the bamboo on at night, but it's rarely wet to the back. i change him when i know he's wet, but alot of times it's a couple of hours in the pockets before i realize it if we are on the go....

Last edited by fergiesgirl86; 10-15-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: adding more info without adding another post
fergiesgirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #1294
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
I use a LL flat and a preemie prefold for a doubler. I use the kite fold and I fold the prefold into the flat ahead of time...like this:

Then when I pull the front panel between his legs, and I kinda spread it out and the top. Then I pull the wings up and out from behind, while holding/pulling the front panel. That keeps the legholes nice and tight.

Are you storing your pins in a bar of soap. Or, you can slide them accross your forehead or through your hair to get a little bit of grease on them, before inserting them. Gross, but it works!
Hey this is REALLY Helpful! Now Im all motivated to try out the flats and the doubler again.

I had been trying to fold the doubler pf into thirds and it wouldn't stay and I couldn't figure out where and when to put the doubler into the fold. Also not having it in thirds seems like it would make it less bulky in the front and not mess up the leg tightness as much.

Thanks for posting! Some of these things seem SO obvious but the light doesn't dawn for me til I see someone else's pics sometimes.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #1295
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

No problem!
I hope it works for you!
I will try to add pics later of the actual application, I had just changed him when I took the folding pics.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #1296
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, it worked out great! I put a kite folded flat with a doubler inside like you demonstrated e and snappi'd it on her. I didn't have any trouble this time getting the legs tight/jellyrolling or spreading the material like I normally do with the doubler.

Life got a little bit hectic and she had that on for 2.5 hours! (normally have to change before an hour with no doubler) No leaks when I changed her. The flat was damp but not soaked. And it was still tight around her legs. yay!

Now Im going to try to do the neat fold with the doubler laid out flat inside and see how that works.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #1297
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Old 10-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #1298
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

Steph, thats how we add our doubler, too!! I love it because its hidden and doesn't create extra bulk between the legs!
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #1299
PurpleMonkey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergiesgirl86 View Post
i think one of my big problems is that my pins are bending! WHAT?! i've had these for all of a week or two and they haven't been in rotation all that much i have 4 pair and two are already bent pretty out of shape. this worries me, they are supposed to be actual diaper pins, you'd think they'd be sturdier? i had/have (they are MIA i can't find them) metal head locking pins ones from GMD and they didn't bend out of shape. they seemed much heavier duty than these little plastic headed bits.
I love these! I think they are dritz. Also you can get them on ebay (in addition to from the GMD site of course)
Old 10-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #1300
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Steph you ROCK!!! Thanks for the pictures. We have been using flats for a couple of years (off and on) and never thought about the preemie doubler placed flat under the flat (yes I am a blonde). Darn why does the baby have to finally be napping? I need to try this on her