Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
lotusstewart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
3 year old totally not interested

DS was so into using the potty right before he turned 2, and he was even starting to go on the potty on a semi-regular basis. Then DD was born, and he totally regressed and wanted to be a baby again. He wouldn't even wear his pull up trainers- it had to be diapers. So that's how it's been for the past year, and he's still not interested at all. Maybe once a month he'll ask to go on the potty, but for the most part when I ask him if he has to go he'll just say no, even if I know he does. I don't mind waiting to PL, but my question is, should I just drop it completely and not mention it to him until he shows interest, or should I casually bring it up from time to time without pressuring him? Any other tips or advice?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 year old totally not interested

My oldest wasn't interested at all. Around 2 yrs old, he went on the potty a few times, but then would get mad if I even SUGGESTED that he try to use the potty. I dropped it.

When he was just past 3 1/2, I took him to the store and let him pick out his own underwear. I made a sticker chart and bought stickers I know he would like, and I bought a bag of jelly beans.

Then I picked a week that we had NOTHING planned. Got my grocery shopping done the week before... so literally we didn't need to go anywhere.

When he was picking out his own underwear, I explained to him that mommy wears underwear and pees on the potty. And Daddy wears underwear, and pees on the potty. And it was time for him to be a big boy too.

On Sunday, before church, I let him pick out his own diaper to wear, and told him that this was the last time he was going to wear a diaper, so pick out whatever diaper he wanted (he picked this horribly bulky minky diaper. LOL).

When we got home, I took his diaper off and started to put underwear on him. He cried "I no want underwear, I want my biper!!!" I told him that he wasn't wearing a diaper anymore. I told him "You can be naked, or you can wear underwear." He thought for a moment then in this defeated little voice said "I'll wear underwear." (DH had to stifle a laugh). And that's how we started potty training.

He got 1 smiley face and on jelly bean for every time he peed in the potty. He got 2 stickers and 2 jelly beans for every poop. And after he earned 5 stickers, the next sticker got to be a bigger, glittery smiley face (my son LOVES sparkly things). He also got to put the stickers on the chart himself. He was very "I can do it" about that and about turning the light on and off.

After 3 days, he was actively trying to get to the bathroom on time. On Friday, I decided to try a trip to the grocery store. He told me when we got there that he had to use the potty... and he wasn't even scared to use the big potty.

By the following week, he wasn't having accidents at home anymore. He still needed night trainers for a few months...but that's ok.

So, that is what worked for us. DS was 3yrs 9months old.

DS2, completely different personality, just decided to sit on the potty and go one day (he was somehwere between 2 and 2 1/2), and so I started working with him after he took it upon himself to use the potty. He's regressing a little lately.

Anyway.....

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
stefaniem
Registered Users
seller

I agree with Michelle - take the diapers away. A sticker chart worked well with my son after he regressed when dd was born. He was right around 3. For some kids it's stickers, others candy, others time with mom/dad....find out what works for him. It can be surprising what they gravitate towards. GL!!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
lotusstewart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks- I'll try some of these things out. LOL about the minky, that is so funny
Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama!

Not sure if it's something you'd be open to considering, but if he wants to be just like the baby, maybe you could look into doing EC with your youngest. Part of the reason my son learned to use the toilet is because my daughter (almost 12 months now) did! And my son wants to be just like her, too. You don't have to do it full time.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
lotusstewart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
Hi mama!

Not sure if it's something you'd be open to considering, but if he wants to be just like the baby, maybe you could look into doing EC with your youngest. Part of the reason my son learned to use the toilet is because my daughter (almost 12 months now) did! And my son wants to be just like her, too. You don't have to do it full time.
Oooo that is a good idea. He does want to be just like her- ever since she was born his favorite color is pink, he wants barrettes in his hair and wants to play with dolls. If she used the potty, he would want to for sure! How do you do EC with your youngest? Thanks!

eta: I just remembered- you bought the elmo stuff!

Last edited by lotusstewart; 10-15-2010 at 10:44 AM.
lotusstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusstewart View Post
Oooo that is a good idea. He does want to be just like her- ever since she was born his favorite color is pink, he wants barrettes in his hair and wants to play with dolls. If she used the potty, he would want to for sure! How do you do EC with your youngest? Thanks!

eta: I just remembered- you bought the elmo stuff!
And the Jack shirt! My son loves all the clothes and slippers! My daughter loves the slippers too and likes playing with his feet when he is wearing them and they just play with them like toys at times too. It's cute! Getting a lot of use out of everything already!

There's an EC forum on here just above the potty training forum with a lot of helpful posts. Someone actually just asked about starting to EC a 12 month old so not really too much younger than your daughter. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1091131

Last edited by mel j; 10-15-2010 at 01:54 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
lotusstewart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
And the Jack shirt! My son loves all the clothes and slippers! My daughter loves the slippers too and likes playing with his feet when he is wearing them and they just play with them like toys at times too. It's cute! Getting a lot of use out of everything already!

There's an EC forum on here just above the potty training forum with a lot of helpful posts. Someone actually just asked about starting to EC a 12 month old so not really too much younger than your daughter. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1091131
Oh, yeah- and the Jack shirt! That is so cute! I'm glad they love them

I'll check out the EC forum... Thanks for the great idea!