Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
mamaloos7
Registered Users

Should I sleep in the same bed as my husband while he has the flu?

Ok...so my husband has the flu..Should I sleep in the same bed while he is sick? I care for both my two kids who are 23 months and 9 months old. I do not want to get sick, but dont want to be insensitive... What do you think? And if not, how long should I avoid sleeping there? Thanks for your input, my husband seems upset that I would even consider it, but he doesnt help when I am sick and someone has to care for the kids...

Advertisement

mamaloos7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
mamaloos7
Registered Users

Re: Should I sleep in the same bed as my husband while he has the flu?

help please...anyone...?
mamaloos7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't generally care. To be honest, if you're going to get sick, you will anyway. But if it's really bothering you, then sleep on the couch.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
pcjs
Registered Users

I say NO way, my husband would sleep in the same bed with me when I'm sick.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The flu is contagious one day BEFORE symptoms present. It is very likely that you have already been exposed. (Unless your husband was away when the symptoms began.) I personally would have just continued as usual. My youngest are 14.75 months apart.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm
Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH got a stomach bug last week & he slept in another bed. That was his choice, not mine, but I was glad he did! I also moved his toothbrush away from ours & washed the sheets the next day! He was only sick for one night, thankfully. But if he got the flu, I would not hestitate to sleep in a different room.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Unless it is an issue of your own (or his comfort) I'd say just sleep in the same bed. You've certainly already been exposed since the flu is contagious before symptoms present. DH and I don't bother to sleep separately if one of us is sick.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd still sleep in the same bed. Of course, I LOVE sleeping in the same bed as my DH, even when he's sick. I am kind of afraid of the dark and have frequent nightmares so it's super comforting to wake up frightened and have him right there. I will even risk getting sick over being terrified all night. He worked 3rd shift for a couple years and I always had to go to bed without him and I hated that so much. I think I've been extra thankful to be able to share a bed since he's been back to a day schedule.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaloos7 View Post
Ok...so my husband has the flu..Should I sleep in the same bed while he is sick? I care for both my two kids who are 23 months and 9 months old. I do not want to get sick, but dont want to be insensitive... What do you think? And if not, how long should I avoid sleeping there? Thanks for your input, my husband seems upset that I would even consider it, but he doesnt help when I am sick and someone has to care for the kids...
It isn't always a given that you get sick from someone else. There really is only a 48 hour period where you can get the flu from someone else. You are MUCH more likely to get it from someone who is not showing symptoms yet.

You might want to avoid french kissing though. You are probably pressing your luck doing that.

Look at it this way though, the more viruses you have while young (your kids included) the more immunity you build up. Flu is the number one reason the elderly get pneumonia and pneumonia is a top killer of the elderly.

Get your "vaccination" now by getting sick now. I'd rather do it now than after I'm 60.

Hang in there.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
momofdolls
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

We always sleep in the same bed. But I agree, french kissing is definitely pushing it! lol

Like many pp said, you and your children have probably already been exposed. If you're super concerned, I would just lysol the things he uses while he's sick. (like toilet handles, door knobs, phones, and remotes) I learned the value of lysol when my twins were about 18 months and passing a stomach virus back and forth...THAT was the pits!