Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
Sherrie87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need help with a shopping list ASAP!!

OK so, my husband lost his job, we got his last check on friday, and it is gone. paid every bill possible because we were aprroved for food stamps...that is all we got approved for..but i'm not complaining ATALL...

I have 292 to last my family of 7 for almost 2.5 weeks, it should be super easy..or so i hope..lol except i JUST got the money on my card for the first time about 10 mins ago..it posted at midnight..giggle. and we will get up in the AM when i get the kids off to school and go shopping so i need a list ASAP..lol

a few meals we usually eat weekly..kinda gets boring around here...but it works for us...i would LOVE more healthier meals we have introduced a BUNCH of veggies, we have always had veggies but we have started stir frys more with more veggies less meat. I really want to loose weight..lol and i have cut my dr peppers down to 1/4 of what i have been drinking over the last month or so....to the point i am SHOCKED i have cut back soo much..lol and i'm doing great..:P

ok back on track..lol had to brag..:P

*chicken stir fry
*steak stir fry
idea for other kinds?
*spaghetti and garlic bread
*about once a week we will have hamburger helper... one kid a week picks there favorite..giggle
*chilli dogs
*eggs and sausage * sausage out of freezer we had two pig butchers a couple months back*
*eggs and bacon * again from freezer *
*pancakes
*stew * one of the more $$ meals, giggle as it is the only meal i use canned veggies *
*chicken wraps * frozen grilled chicken * i no bad bad bad..lol * lettuce tomatoes ranch and grated cheese
*meatloaf

can't think of anything else i wil update if i can come up with anything..lol

I would love to try new things, simple fast things are great..

Thank you SOOO very much!!! I hope there is a bunch of night owls out there..lol

I have ham steaks in the freezer from the hogs, and i also have pork chops..of course..lol hmmm i think all the shoulder roasts are gone...hmmm trying to think what is in there..:P

Right now it is My husband, my 2yr old son, my 2 yr old niece, and Me eating breakfast and lunch
and Hubby, 2y son, 2y niece, 10 daughter, 7y son 6y son and I eating supper if that makes a differance

i'm all for eating left over for lunch or makeing left overs into next days dinner and stuff like that.. IF there is left overs..hubby likes to eat and eat..lol

Dont tell hubby but i would LOVE to reduce..or completely take out the meat..lol

Advertisement

Wife to Joey, 1-12-07 Mother to six , Britney 10/13/00, Jared 05/27/03, Hunter 05/10/04, Kimbery 10/26/06,Kole 09/05/08, Alaina 03/20/12 I CD of corse..:P, co-sleep, BFing,non-circumcising, baby wearing, pretty crunchy..:P Fan Page Come "like" Me.. My IHA/ISO I LOVE to trade.. Blog post of some stuff I can make you!..:P

Last edited by Sherrie87; 10-17-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help with a shopping list ASAP!!

check http://www.5dollardinners.com/recipes/recipe-index

LOTS AND LOTS of meals, you could EASILY feed everyone for under $40 a week

Another tip don't buy premade 'treats' none of them. No cookies, no oreos, nothing like that. Buy flour, sugar, etc and make from scratch (fun for kiddies!!). Cut out the soda sorry mama...

Buy frozen veggies, they're nutritionally sound and cheaper than buying fresh (plus they don't go bad as quickly)

Good luck!!

If it makes you feel any better our grocery bill for our family of 5 is $300 a MONTH. Max, that's all we have after bills & meds We make it work
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 10-18-2010 at 08:30 AM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Sherrie87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL i dont like the remark baout cutting out soda...HAHAHAHAhA...but yes i'm working on it..lol Even hubby thinks i ahve done waaaay over expected..lol If he only knows i want to loose weight before we TTC in the next couple months..HAHAHA i think that is the only thing "driving" me..lol

Thats a good idea on the make the snacks for the kids, i dunno why i didn't htinka bout that
and we already buy frozen, instead of canned, and fresh i like them better anyways..LOL

WOw i dont no if i could do that, i guess if i was able to stock up on stuff, but like you before foodstamps that is baout what we had a month, but i want to make it last so when hubby gets a job we wont have them anymore and want to be stocked up on stuff. i have two huge freezers i can use to put stuff in, i think most will be meat...but we will see..
Thank you so very much for responding! We are getting dressed at the moment and fixing to head out.. well i'm suppose to be getting dressed had to check DS...:P
Wife to Joey, 1-12-07 Mother to six , Britney 10/13/00, Jared 05/27/03, Hunter 05/10/04, Kimbery 10/26/06,Kole 09/05/08, Alaina 03/20/12 I CD of corse..:P, co-sleep, BFing,non-circumcising, baby wearing, pretty crunchy..:P Fan Page Come "like" Me.. My IHA/ISO I LOVE to trade.. Blog post of some stuff I can make you!..:P
Old 10-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your thread actually prompted me to apply for FS...I'm sick of only having $300 for food so gonna see what I can get...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Sherrie87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would apply, the worse they can say is no...my sister in law was griping last night cause she only got 130 a month, witch is better than nothing...but she she doesn't budget she just buys what ever and when they run out of money they run out..it is acually very crazy!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah! It'll only be until January because DH will get a raise hopefully! Woot...

I've never understood the concept behind complaining about assistance. I'd be happy with $10! LOL My SIL was whining because she doesn't get enough formula from WIC, she actually asked DH if we'd switch our package to the FF so she could have our formula! DH told her no way because we go through milk like it's going out of style.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually buy a lot of our food at the Dollar Tree. Ours has a frozen section and dairy section and it's great. I get most of our frozen veggies there. I have even gotten chicken pot pies, oh and the stir fry veggie mix is great. I always stock up on that when they have it. There are some things they have most of the time and then they get special items in just that one time or whatever. lol I got huge bags of green giant peas and corn for $1 before. I get all of our chicken nuggets and french fries there. Sometimes they have frozen fish there and I love that.

Hey if your kids like hamburger helper (so do mine and even me lol) I bet they'd like goulash. It's just (cooked) elbow mac, browned hamburger, a can or two of tomato soup (1 can water) and salt, pepper, garlic pwdr.

If you're trying to eat more healthy, try fish. We did the cut back on beef thing a few years ago (hard for me, being a farmers daughter!!) I do fish in the microwave from frozen.

Talapia - unwrap and put in glass dish. Drizle with italian dressing and parm cheese. Cook in microwave at full power for 10 minutes. I do four or five pieces of fish, you might need longer for more fish or do in batches.

Salmon - unwrap and put in glass dish. Drizle with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook in microwave at full power for 10 minutes. I do four or five pieces of fish, you might need longer for more fish or do in batches.

Oh, I do steak stir fry all the time. When I have steak I usually buy a cheaper cut of steak, like spencer steaks or a big steak like a flank steak but those huge cheap ones they always have on sale for B1G1 free. lol Then I make it better by marinating it with those McMormick grillmates in the envelopes. Then I cook on my George Forman Grill. I cook the entire package even if we don't need it all. If I did the big steaks I cut on a slant and serve. We eat it with fries and a veggie or corn on the cobb in the summer. Yum. Then the next night (or a couple nights later) I cut up the leftover steak and do stir fry. It goes over well and doesn't seem like leftovers that way. lol

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This was a HUGE hit in our house...sort of hamburger helper only homemade!

http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/10/tac-aroni.html

Or other cheap tips (my mom was dirt floor poor...literally growing up so my grandma cooks CHEAP)

Goulash

1lb hamburger
1/2 box of elbow mac
1 can of tomato juice
1 can of diced tomatoes
S&P to taste (more peper, tomatoes plenty salty)

Boil noodles, drain
Brown hamburger, drain

Combine all together, simmer till heated through

Meatloaf (I'm tweaking this for your larger family!)

3lbs hamburger (the cheaper kind, no greater than 80%)
3 eggs
Smashed up saltine crackers (crushed corn flakes works well too...not bread crumbs though) (till dry-ish)
Ketchup (a good sized squirt, maybe 1/4 a cup)
Wortchier sauce (just a splash)

Mix all together with your hands
Shape into a loaf
Bake at 350 for an hour, cut in 4 sections half way though