Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Re: Potty Training at 18 months?!? wow!

Go for it. I practice with DD while I'm using the bathroom and right before she gets her nighttime bath. Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesn't but either way its no big deal right now....just for fun and practice.

Advertisement

LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

DS is 18 months and wears the gerber training pants. ... I don't think they are bulky, have you seen them lately or are you referring to years ago? We get them in a 3 pack for $6.50, so I like that they are cheap. They are way less bulky than a cloth diaper I think. He's skinny and the 2t pants fit fine, little big, but room to grow.
HTH
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's great! If 18 months is too young then would you believe a lot of folks start earlier! Except it's not really potty training...more gently communicating with your LO and allowing them to pee and poop somewhere other than on themself! We started EC 'in earnest' at 3 months with both of ours
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
ariannasmommy22
Registered Users
seller

It's definitely not too young! My DD is potty trained and she is 19 months but I started at 16 months. She showed signs of readiness and I went with it. She still has an accident or two a day but most the time she goes on the potty. I think once they realize that they are supposed to "push" when you put them on the potty...they are good to go. I would say go with it. Keep putting him on a few times a day and then gradually increase it.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #15
elkay724
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds is 18 months and goes on the potty (pee and poo) several times a day. I think it's because his older sister (only 14 months older) uses the potty and he want to as well.
elkay724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
Momma2Mia
Registered Users
seller

18 months is definately not to young to potty train. Believe it or not less than 100yrs ago the average age to be fully potty trained was 18 months! Also in other countries or rural areas that dont use disposable diapers the normal age is much lower than here in the US, in this day and age. It's all about awareness and if he is aware and ready to do it in the potty, which he is clearly telling you he is ready. My 4yr old was in panties most of the time at 18mos and completely in panites during the day right at her 2nd brithday. My now 13month old goes on the potty sometimes when we hold her over and others times wants nothing to do with it. Just take your time and know that he may have set back an need to go back to using diapers for a while , just know that your listening to your child and if anyone gives you greif saying he's to young, you just tell them your listening to him and he seems/ feels or is telling you he wants to go on the potty.

PS. I am 29yrs old an I was "potty trained" at 9months(offered potty, had very few accidents) but still used diapers till around 2 yrs, when we were out in public. I am in no way scar-ed by that, and my dad always boast it that it saved them alot of money (not having to buy alot of disposables)
Momma2Mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
wyatt09
B/T with caution

My Mood:

Thank you all for the support.. Wyatt has been peeing and pooping on the potty and doing well!!He is staying drier longer and is learning to wash his hands and he likes to flush..his fav thing is pulling the thing out and dumping it into the big people potty lol!
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #18
Hi'ipoi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My LO is 16.5 months and has been going pee for over a month now. Last night she pooped for the first time too! I don't push it either, I'll ask her through out the day and if she wants to go she'll say and sign potty, and run to the bathroom. She hates wearing a diaper but will still have accidents when she runs around naked. She's in cloth at daycare, so one of these weekends I should put her in trainers and see what happens...
Hi'ipoi is offline   Reply With Quote