Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
ktktbird
Registered Users

My Mood:
my son refuses to poop (possibly tmi...)

We have had insane trouble with potty training. My son is almost 4 and because of several health complications he has been set back with potty training. He was doing super great until a couple weeks ago when he got constipated and one of his poops hurt him. He now refuses to poo and rolls around on the floor crying *trying* to NOT poo. We are giving him prune juice and making sure he doesn't get constipated again but his poos are definately soft and he cries like he is in intense pain everytime he goes.
We want to start potty training my 2yo but it's been so complicated with ds that we haven't had a chance to even start with her.
Anybody have any advice on how to deal with this?

Advertisement

ktktbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
mamarussell
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: my son refuses to poop (possibly tmi...)

Katie - I wish I had some advice for you but I came to this board to look for the exact same help. :-) My 4yo son refuses to poo in the potty and has now taken to pooing in his underwear. (lovely) My son does not have medical issues, though.

Hug s and I sure hope we can both find some help!
mamarussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Why not try omitting certain things from his diet and see if that helps a little, since you mentioned he was getting constipated? Dairy and gluten are big culprits from what I've studied recently and are in so many foods. Apparently a lot of adults and children are intolerant even without realizing it. It make sense that after getting constipated they'd be afraid to poo and of course constipation is a result of something they have eaten or not eaten/drank enough of (ie. not enough water can cause constipation also.) Wish I could help more but I am not sure what else to suggest! Even if the cause is foods, you won't necessarily see results *right* away...so it will take some patience if you try omitting foods.

eta: Before I knew about gluten I had issues when I was pregnant with my first and upping my water intake as well as switching from regular flour products to whole wheat flour helped a lot (we also made most of our food from scratch and I avoid most processed foods.) Now, increasing my veggie intake helps a lot. I eat tons of fruit and try to eat a lot of vegetables and try to eat certain things with the skin on - potatoes, pears, apples, etc. (Fibre combined with a lot of water!) I think most people would do well to eat more veggies and less gluten foods anyway :-) So I try to feed my LO's the same way. They don't get much dairy or gluten or treats and usually have no trouble pooping.

Last edited by mel j; 10-15-2010 at 02:27 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
ktktbird
Registered Users

My Mood:

mammarussell- thanks for the hugs. Hugs back to you. We just stopped pushing him and tried to make it fun again and he is definately not constipated now... just scared. He is *slowly* getting back into the swing of things. Hope your LO starts getting psyched for the process soon!
mel- we are already on a milk, wheat, rice, egg, barley and fish free diet. We eat healthier than we ever have and it's been a blessing in disguise.
my mom actually suggested making it fun again... I was just so disappointed from having made so much progress to major regression. I guess that's part of the process...
Thanks ladies.
ktktbird is offline   Reply With Quote