Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
puppyloven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can I do this?

I want to make like a white chicken chili in the crockpot but I only have dried beans (great northern). Can I put all my ingredients plus the dried beans in there? will it take too long to cook? I know I will have to watch my water level....what to do? Should I soak the beans first?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Happily married to DH Noel Mama to two boys Ryan 6/17/06 & Jackson 12/3/08 and with baby #3 EDD1/20/2011
puppyloven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can I do this?

I would soak the beans first--you can do a quick soak (bring to a boil on the stove, take off the heat, let sit for 2-10 minutes) or soak overnight in cold water. Beyond that, I don't know.

It doesn't help right now, but I cook batches of dried beans in the crockpot and freeze them in almost-2-cup bags, so I have cooked beans on hand.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always soak my beans overnight. I wouldn't attempt to cook with them without any soaking either overnight or a quick soak/boil. I have read the beans cook best in a crock pot on high. If you cooked it all together I would think the beans would take so long your chicken texture might not be that great. I think great northern beans take about 3 hours on high in the crockpot to cook after soaking so if you will be home I would soak them overnight, rinse and add new water in the morning and cook on high for 3 hours then add the rest of your ingredients and cook until chicken is done. I dont think the beans will get overcooked since you could make the chili with canned beans and it would work out. good luck. chili sounds yummy!!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
puppyloven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks ladies!
Happily married to DH Noel Mama to two boys Ryan 6/17/06 & Jackson 12/3/08 and with baby #3 EDD1/20/2011
puppyloven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

I make it all the time - I rinse my beans and cook on low in the crockpot overnight. Then in the morning I drain them again and put them back in the crockpot with some chicken broth and bump it up to high for about 4 hours. Take half out and mash them, add seasonings and chicken, and back on low until dinner time. We like our chili mushy though as my kiddos don't like beans.

like me on Facebook
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
Meighan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Like PP said, I would soak them--I tried to make some chili on the stove a few weeks ago, and didn't soak my beans before throwing them in with everything else. Let's just say they eventually cooked through, but it took FOREVER.
Meighan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Here is a recipe where you don't soak the beans or anything, you just dump it all in - dry beans, dry rice, uncooked chicken... its soooo easy!

http://onelittlewordsheknew.blogspot...mom-gumbo.html
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote