Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Iron levels and Coffee

Do any of you with low iron ever have an issue or have ahd to stop drinking coffee all together? Have you ever been told to stop drinking it? HOw much of it did you contribute to your low iron levels and how much did you drink a day? Does anyone know if Decaf has the same way of blocking your bodies ability to absorb iron? How do you feel coffee effected your birth if you already had your baby? Thoughts? Experiences? Knowledge? If you are absolutely firm against drinking coffee and caffeine during pregnancy and beyond...I want to hear all about it! TIA

Mommy to 4 Boys and 1 Girl and 2 fur babies!

Last edited by hypmommy3; 10-25-2010 at 12:00 PM.
hypmommy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Iron levels and Coffee

I have always had low iron and i have a heart condtion. However none of my dr's have ever told me to stop drinking coffee. They do reccomend only 1-2 cups of coffee or 3-4 soda's a day, basically the 300mg reccomended in pregnancy is what i can have all the time. I currently take iron pills but they are considering doing an iron infusion in the near future as its only once a year and your body absorbs it much better.
Mama to N (8/02), L (12/06) and P (2/11)
My blog
Bellamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y

I have had low iron all my life and even lower in pregnancy. I drink a few cups of coffee (or coffee products (MMMM Frapuccino!)) per week. I just take supplements and get extra iron in my diet. Check out shredded wheat cereals - IIRC, the frosted shredded wheat has like 90% of your daily intake of iron! Have a couple bowls a day! I never worry too much about it, honestly.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Registered Users

I have low iron even when not pregnant. I don't think you need to stop caffeine completely, the only thing is that it will interfere with absorption. So if you're having fried liver or something to bring up your iron, don't have it with a cup of coffee! Have the coffee at a different time instead. And have a source of vitamin C with your iron supplement (I've had good results with traditional over-the-counter ones) like a glass of orange juice.

I normally take my iron at night - it is less likely to upset my tummy since I'm going right to bed anyway. Plus this is an unlikely time to be drinking caffeine anyway, right?
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote