Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "but HOW did daddy put the baby in your tummy?"

My then 6yo asked why I "ate him". That's how he thinks he got there.
Very cute, but very innocent.

Then he learned about chicken eggs & biology in 3rd grade. So I then explained it in egg & fertilized terms. Does he know EXACTLY how one gets to the other? No. His daddy can handle that one in their sex talk in a few years.

Oh, and just personal pref, but I leave marriage out of making babies talk. You don't NEED to get married to make a baby and I'd hate for a kid to get the impression that sex before marriage CANNOT produce a baby. Marriage is nice, but that's a social status, not a biological status.

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
Mel_C
Registered Users
seller

When my 5yo asked I told her "It's kind of complicated, we'll talk more about it when you get older." I am avoiding the cellular division and procreation talk for now. They go to a very holistic, organic and open school so nature is not something they're unfamiliar with. I'm sure I could go into the explanation and not freak them out or anything, but I'd rather wait m'self.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
MamaStick
Registered Users

My Mood:

I made the mistake of saying "The mommy swallowed it" once.

This was to the then 3 year old- but his 5 year old sister heard. She's also too smart for MY own good. I had told her all about love, daddy &mommy planting a seed...then she had to go and hear me say that.

I am dreading it when she asks me again and asks about my comment to her brother.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #14
skcsarah
Registered Users

I'm glad my kids were only interested in WHERE the baby grew. Lol. As far as the husband/wife.... We just say 'but you can't! Mommy/daddy is my wife/husband. When you grow up you'll meet a girl/boy and get married and them you'll have a wife/husband'
Old 10-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Kid has been asking me a lot how babies get inside uteruses (his word). I got a book called Where Do Babies Come From by Angela Rovston. The book starts off saying:
Quote:
Babies come from eggs. Most living things start life as a small egg
then it goes on to say
Quote:
where do ducklings come from. it takes a mother duck and a father duck to make a duckling. inside the father duck there are tiny sperm. inside the mother duck there are tiny eggs. a tiny egg joins with a sperm inside the mother to make a duck's egg...Ducklings grow inside the eggs. Ducklings grow up to become mother ducks and father ducks.
Then it talks about sunflowers and kittens (exact same M.O. as above only using kittens) and then about babies saying the exact same thing about them except that it says that babies are pushed out through a special passage between the mother's legs. It's pretty simple in the way it describes it and I'm hoping it quenches The Kid's thirst for knowledge at least for the next 35 years or so.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Is he 4?

we told our children that daddys/grown ups penis's have seeds in them and mommies have eggs in their tummys and that daddy puts the seeds into where mommies eggs are and it makes a baby. We told them that when mommies and daddys are married they get to make babies. That it is something that 2 people who love each other do.

HTH!
This is pretty much how we handle it, too. We are very open family but give age appropriate answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
No, thats just stupid....He is not being abused and that is normal behavior.

If he asks how they get there tell him that grown men, like his father, make the seeds in their testicles and someday when he is grown and ready to have a wife and make babies he will make seeds too. Tell him that he is too young to make seeds and have a wife and someday he will be ready to.

All my kids have asked around that age because I have been pregnant a lot. So we answer the best we can. I use the word seed and egg because its easy for a child to visualize over the word sperm...my son asked what the seeds look like and we told him that they look like baby tadpoles and we showed him a picture of tadpoles.. That was all it took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
LOL.. cute! My 6 year old asks women how their labor was after they have babies. I suppose he knows a little more because his mama is an L&D nurse.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post

Then he learned about chicken eggs & biology in 3rd grade. So I then explained it in egg & fertilized terms. Does he know EXACTLY how one gets to the other? No. His daddy can handle that one in their sex talk in a few years.

Oh, and just personal pref, but I leave marriage out of making babies talk. You don't NEED to get married to make a baby and I'd hate for a kid to get the impression that sex before marriage CANNOT produce a baby. Marriage is nice, but that's a social status, not a biological status.
I never told The Kid that people need to be married to make a baby but he believes it. I was watching bridezillas (or some other such bride show) and he said she's getting married because she wants a baby. Is all that food because her baby in her uterus is hungry and she needs to feed the baby? Is her baby going to eat all that food?
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was four when DS was born. While I was pregnant she said, "I know the man has the sperm and the woman has the egg, but how does the sperm get into the woman to get to the egg?" I just told her they put their privates together.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
KnPsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We plan on telling our girls (in age appropriate language) exactly as much as they ask us regardless of how old they are at the time and if they haven't started asking by the time they're 6 or so I'll start bringing it up more. Although, at this point my 2 1/2 year old is more comfortable with birth than most adult women I know and frequently requests Gentle Birth Choices (otherwise known at our house as "the brand new baby movie) when it's her turn to pick for movie night so we're probably a little ahead of the curve on sex ed here.

And I wouldn't worry about someone thinking your kid is being sexually abused because they know where babies come from. In fact everything scientific I've ever heard says that a child that knows the right names for body parts, etc. is less likely to be abused, especially on an ongoing basis because they're more likely to know someone is doing something wrong and more likely to tell someone else.
KnPsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is more concerned with how the baby will get out. In fact, he asked me yesterday "Did you push me?" I had no idea where he was going with this so I said, 'No Evan, we don't push." He looked at me like I was crazy and said "When I was in your uterus, Mom, did you push me? How did I get out of there?" He knows that babies come from " 'ginas" as he calls it and seems to know a lot about the birth process, although he has never witnessed it. I was thinking about letting him be there for this baby's birth (He'll be almost 6.5) but DH isn't comfortable with that. We still have 6 months to discuss it though. I agree with the open honest answers though. I also stress marriage, but ds knows you don't have to be married due to several single friends with babies. Also, we have discussed what he wants in a wife. I kind of interviewed him one night last week and I said "What if your wife doesn't want to go to church?" His answer: "Oh she's going to church" "What if your wife won't make meatloaf?" (Ds's favorite meal) "I can make it for her" "What if your wife won't eat Bell Peppers?" "Then she will shrink of course!" Ha Ha, sorry this is long but I think having an idea of what a child wants in a mate is a great way to stress family values and get good laughs!

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is offline   Reply With Quote