Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Making baby food

There is a great book called "First Foods" by Annabel Karmel here is a link.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
I like it because it has menus to cook for the family too and incorporates the baby food menu in it too

Hope that helps!

Advertisement

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #12
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

That's all I do! I use frozen peas and green beans since the fresh is often lacking in quality here in California.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #13
annikas_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell62995 View Post
A lot of moms wont make thier own carrots but I have asked around and read that it is fine just as long as you don't thin it out w/ the water it was steamed in. HTH!
Why ever not? Carrots are a great source of pretty much everything good and the only bad thing about them is the fear of choking - so if they're mushy, problem solved! Also, I can't imagine why thinning them out with the steam water would be a problem, unless you steamed them without doing a quick peel first, which of course would mean that any pesticides or dirt would then be in the water.

Carrots are also one of the EASIEST foods ever to make for your baby. Could you clarify why some mamas say not to make your own?

I blog about real food, sustainable living,
natural homemaking, and joyful parenting
at NourishingJoy.com.

annikas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #14
chans
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikas_mommy View Post
Why ever not? Carrots are a great source of pretty much everything good and the only bad thing about them is the fear of choking - so if they're mushy, problem solved! Also, I can't imagine why thinning them out with the steam water would be a problem, unless you steamed them without doing a quick peel first, which of course would mean that any pesticides or dirt would then be in the water.

Carrots are also one of the EASIEST foods ever to make for your baby. Could you clarify why some mamas say not to make your own?
Fear of nitrate poisoning. See here: http://wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm
Old 05-26-2007, 12:18 AM   #15
annikas_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans View Post
Fear of nitrate poisoning. See here: http://wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm
Yes, but nitrates are everywhere - why pick on carrots specifically? Especially since carrots (and other vegetables) typically aren't given to infants under the age of six months anyway, and this article specifically states that the highest risk of nitrate poisoning exists before six months. I don't ask to make a point - I truly am curious. I'm quite aware of nitrates and the infiltration they have on the vast majority of our food supply, I just hadn't heard it applied to carrots with quite so much emphasis and concern before.

On a slight tangent, my personal favorite way to get my daily dose of nitrates is Italian sausage and red wine...

I blog about real food, sustainable living,
natural homemaking, and joyful parenting
at NourishingJoy.com.

annikas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote