Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:
Different approaches?

So I hear 'literary approach', 'workbork approach' - are there any other 'approaches' I should know about??

Seriously though, are there? Workbork seems pretty self explanitory... they work... in a book... and that's how they learn. Literary I'm assuming is learning through stories (for the most part)? Are there no workbooks at all in the literary approach curriculums?

I'm looking through Oak Meadow and noticing there is NO workborks, which struck me as odd. I really love how they present material though... are there any 'combination' type curriculums? That use both literary and workbooks?

Advertisement

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
squiddles
Registered Users
seller

Re: Different approaches?

good questions... i'd like to know too!
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/082307.htm

That site might give you more info. I know there is some one on here who has a site that breaks it all down. There are lots of methods out there.

There are
Literary/Charlotte Mason where they learn through books
School at Home which I think you are calling work book. Basically it is using a pre-made curriculum that is set out for you like your child was going to school but you are at home. This is what I do with my oldest.
Montessori
Waldorf
Unschooling
Classical
Unit studies

There are more but these are the ones I am thinking of off the top of my head. You might take a look through the links at the top of the forum to see if there is a link in there that explains them better. I'm not good at this LOL.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
Aegansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use the "eclectic" approach to homeschooling-we combine methods to suit our children's education. We use Montessori-type activities for the early years. We use a literature approach for social studies because I feel that they absorb and understand more of the material if they are getting the full story, in context. We use a combined literature approach and workbook approach for science (with lots of experiments). For literature/reading, we may read things related to our science/social studies work or we may be working our way through a book. We use pre-made curriculum for math, spelling, and grammar. For all subjects, we use lots of unit studies and lapbooks just because the kids really enjoy them, and the information sticks!
Aegansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I recommend reading books on homeschooling in addition to internet searches because thye wrap up the information in one tidy package...which is called a book.

I always recommend "100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum" by Cathy Duffy. She has a questionnaire for you to evaluate your educational philosophy and find the approach that fits you and your family best. (She should be paying me some sort of commission for all the recommending I do.)

I also recommend "Homeschooling for Dummies". It's the best overview without obvious bias.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorahsMom View Post
I recommend reading books on homeschooling in addition to internet searches because thye wrap up the information in one tidy package...which is called a book.

I always recommend "100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum" by Cathy Duffy. She has a questionnaire for you to evaluate your educational philosophy and find the approach that fits you and your family best. (She should be paying me some sort of commission for all the recommending I do.)

I also recommend "Homeschooling for Dummies". It's the best overview without obvious bias.
I've read a few books on HSing, but rarely come across these terms. I've seen 'literary approach' before when reading certain curriculums, and I've heard 'montessouri' and 'charlotte-mason' before when hearing about outside-schooled preschools... I just was curious.

I really enjoy the 'What your ____ needs to know" line, but don't recall it ever being mentioned in the preschool, kindergarten, or 1st grader books?

And honestly... the internet is just faster/easier for me Obviously, I do read books, but to go to the store/library to actually GET a book, then get it home, read the whole thing, then possibly return it (library)... it's just time consuming! I like the comprehensive books (again, really enjoy the 'What your ____ needs to know'), but some are full of information that is redundant to me... I'd rather just find excerpts online, or ask you more experienced gals

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote