Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
BabyCentric
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what to do with a 3 year old?

I agree, let him be 3 and you'll be surprised the things he'll pick up on his own. We read a lot and teach him about everything under the sun. He's really into trains and dinosaurs right now, so we've taken him to the train museum and natural history museum. He loves blocks (LOVES!) so we do a lot of sorting and even math skills through play. He's not much of a workbook kid, but he'll do a page every now and then. He also loves puzzles and does tons of those. It's crazy, dh recently build a computer and was talking to ds while he was putting it together. The other day he cracked it open to do some tinkering and would you believe ds could name almost every part in that computer? You'd be surprised how much those littles can soak up just through everyday experiences.

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

My son will be 3 in March and I'm planning to start the Hooked on Phonics Learn to read set with him. We tried some HOP stuff that a friend passed on but it wasn't complete so I'm excited to order the full set from 3-8. Right now we try to do letter identification and sound but we haven't made it very far (only to G). We do worksheets and tracing for his shapes/colors/same and different. I usually only do sitdown work 2x a week and he goes to preschool 1 day a week. I have an 8 month old so it is hard to make the time but I see slow and steady improvement. We haven't made much progress on number identification so I'd love to know any preschool math recommendations.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

Oops- also wanted to mention that my son is REALLY active- to the point we've had to pull him out of preschool teachers class that get frustrated. When I take him to library story time he is fidgety and on his feet the whole time. When we first started he couldn't even do 5 minutes of school but when he got bored we stopped. He gradually got better and better at sitting. Now we do about 20 minutes and he usually asks for more worksheets when I tell him we are done. I've never pushed him but just kept trying to get him to sit even if only 5 minutes and now he loves learning. I see no problem practicing sitting still for school at age 3- just don't get frustrated if its not perfect.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #14
JD's Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an almost three year old and was wondering the same thing - same situation no moola for preschool. Thanks for asking. Those websites have some awesome free printable stuff. I am so excited !!!
JD's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #15
angelisagemini
Registered Users

My Mood:

I only have a two year old and have never homeschooled but I read somewhere once about a mama who used her child's activity level to her advantage. She would write the alphabet or numbers on paper plates and then ask him where the A was and he would jump onto it etc. Basically just making up games that require a lot of physicality while also using their brain. It sounded like fun to me!
angelisagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
jenniferlamberjack
Registered Users

Don't know if you've heard of the Preschool Prep Co series of dvds, but my son loved them and he learned all of his letter, colors, basic shapes, and numbers 1-10 in a short amount of time. They are only about 20 minutes long, and are great if you need to take a shower, fix lunch/dinner, or take an important phone call. When we first started watching them I watched them with him as much as possible. Now I pop them in if I need to do one of those other things and my youngest son is learning. If your kids watch a lot of TV, though, they may not like it because it is really slow and repetitive.

I used Kumon books for stickers, cutting, and coloring.

Starfall is an awesome free site for little ones to learn how to read. I used Starfall in conjunction with The Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Lessons.
jenniferlamberjack is offline   Reply With Quote