Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:42 AM   #11
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: No nursing to sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenShultzie View Post
imo, as long as your baby unlatches and swallows, it will be okay! its the pooling milk in the mouth that causes tooth decay.. hth
well said! my DD is 13mths old, has 4 teeth & there all perfectly healthy she nurses to sleep every night. Great article, Seven!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Michelle8903
Registered Users
seller

My DD is almost 9 months old and I nurse her to sleep and I don't plan on making any changes until she is weaned. My ped has never said anything to me about, acutally, he's never asked how I put her to sleep. He doesn't ask, I don't tell.
Michelle8903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here is some great info for you.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

I am still nursing my one year old to sleep for naps and nighttime. His teeth are perfect.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #14
ankc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

tooth decay?????? I think that the tooth decay issue is with juice in the bottle and milk in the bottle at night with older babies that have molars etc.....my ped told me to stop nursing too ...not for tooth decay tho more for "creating a bad habit" I posted at kellymom.com and got a plethera of responses saying NOT to stop no need etc......I still nurse ds to sleep he dosent take a bottle we are all happy and I am sure his teeth will be fine! GL and just go with what feels right 4u
Old 05-25-2007, 06:01 AM   #15
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

I was at the dentist last month for a check up and brought Whilder with me, she did say something about this, BUT... she said not to even worry about it until after she has quite a few teeth (about a year) and all I need to do is make sure that I take my nipple out of her mouth after she falls asleep, because if she lays there all night long with a pool of milk on the back of her teeth, it can possibly cause decay.

THere is no reason to stop night nursing because of this! I wouldn't even worry about it at all since your DS is still so young.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #16
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

Seven has a good post on this.

However there is the SMALL amount of kids who do have this happen. It does have a lot to do with genetics, but is still a factor. My family has horrid dental issues with decay etc. Now DD#1 was bf for 15 months and nursed to sleep she has wonderful teeth. But DD#2 was not so lucky. She has had to have dental surgery just last yr and she is only 3 now!!

What it comes down to is your mommy insticts. And if your family has a history of bad teeth then I personally would listen to the pedi. My DD#3 is not nursed to sleep, only bc I fear she will have the issues her sister had.

It's a personal desision, no one can make it for you. GL and I hope that what you chose to do is the right thing for your child..
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
BRIDEN
Registered Users
Formerly: brveille
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esokitty View Post
At my son's 6 month checkup, our pedi said i need to not nurse him to sleep anymore as it will cause tooth decay.

She's a little standard on co-sleeping and cereal feeding, so I'm wondering if this is something i should chalk up in the same vien, or if i do need to teech my little man how to sleep without his boobah!

All opinions appreciated!
My son is almost a year, and I still nurse him to sleep. Its one of my favorite things to do.. I say do wha tis best fro you
Old 05-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am married to a dentist and all of our kids nurse to sleep and co-sleep . It is simply not true that breatmilk causes tooth decay by itself.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #19
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullhouse View Post
I am married to a dentist and all of our kids nurse to sleep and co-sleep . It is simply not true that breatmilk causes tooth decay by itself.
Yeah that!!

I have talked to many Dentists. A baby who drinks from a bottle sucks differently than a baby on the breast. It is VERY unlikely a baby who nurses to sleep will get tooth decay because of it, if so its probably in their genes! Both my kids nurse to sleep & my DS has the "best teeth I've ever seen" says my dentist!

Oh yeah, if your worried just take your nipple out once he/she is out!
Old 05-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #20
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My pedi screamed at me to stop nursing completely at 12 months. Since when is that the magic number...needless to say I'm still nursing (she's 20 months) and have stopped seeing that pedi. Sometimes, pedis let their own preferences and opinions influence their advice to their patients. I do nurse her to sleep. She'll nurse for maybe 5-10 minutes and is out like a light and she actually ENJOYS bedtime, she doesn't fight me or scream and cry, she says "Night Night!! Mama need milk! I tired!" and we do our normal night routine. I would say do what your instincts tell you, and realize that sometimes you have to ignore some of the "over-opinionated" advice.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote