Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

Radians

So I am thinking of purchasing two radians for my girls (2 and 4) and I'm wondering if I can have one seat in the middle and one outboard? Since having two kids we have always had both kids outboard in our car (2002 Nissan Altima) but since the radian is so narrow I should be able to fit them side by side, right?

If so, which child should I put in the center?

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Radians

Are you planning on rear facing the 4 year old? IMO a Radian is a little unnecessary for a child that age since there are harnessed seats out there that make good boosters. You will get your money's worth more out of one of those for the 4 year old. AFA seat placement, you want to put the least protected rider in the middle so RF kids outboard and FF/boostered kids in the middle if possible.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

We have a Britax Frontier for boostering later on... I do want to try RFing DD until she reaches the weight limit (she is just over 40 pounds right now so she would have a little room for rear facing.) but I'm not sure if it will work. She'd only 42 inches tall so she has a lot of room for growth in a Radian. Plus we plan on having another child, probably in 1-2 years, so we'll be able to hand the Radian down to that child still. I can't really see how it would be a waste of money.

We were really hoping to get two carseats that would allow another person to ride in the back without removing a seat (or another child since I babysit my friends kids frequently.)

In any case we are going to try out some seats in our car with the kids to make sure everyone fits comfortably and safely.

Last edited by ktmamma; 11-04-2010 at 10:06 AM.
ktmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you are planning on handing it down to another child then it won't be a waste of money. I don't see the logic in buying a seat that could cost $300 depending on if you can find a sale or not to rear face a 4 year old and does not convert to a booster. If that seat is bought with the intention of passing it on to another baby then it makes more sense.

What vehicle do you have?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

TBH I haven't given boosters much thought because we plan on harnessing for at least another year or two (basically until we can't find a harnessed seat that fits her.) We have a Britax Regent that is HUGE so she'll probably end up in that before she goes into a booster.

We drive a 2002 Nissan Altima. My inlaws are also thinking of purchasing Radians for GMILs 2005 Scion xB.

ETA: Even if we don't have another baby we will need to replace our spare seat (britax marathon) for my youngest by the end of 2012 since it will expire.

Last edited by ktmamma; 11-04-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I have a 99 altima but I think 2002 was the first year of a redesign. The seats in the 99 are contoured where it might be tricky to get two seats side-by-side, even narrow seats like a radian. But it might be possible; I haven't tried it. And since the 2002 is different (I think), that doesn't much matter anyway. Bottom line - give it a shot, I think you have a pretty good chance of making it work.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
an_aurora
Registered Users

I have heard good things about the Radians in the newer Altimas
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

Yup, we have the newer style, no contoured seats. Our current seats fit in very nicely - both outboard- especially the Marathon. We just got the Altima (for a steal at only 60k miles for $3500! Body and interior were in near perfect condition too! woot!) and I'm loving it. The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did is floor tethers.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

You should have had a d-ring that came with your seats (marathons and radians). It looks like seatbelt webbing with a loop sewn into each end, and on one end there is a metal ring attached to the loop. Wrap the webbing around the track of the front seat in front of the radian/marathon, then pass the metal loop through the loop in the webbing. Attach the top tether to the metal loop.

For lurkers - do NOT do this if you do not have a radian or Britax convertible!! Other seats have not been approved by their manufacturers for top tethering when rearfacing, and you could be endangering your child if you use the seat in a manner not approved by the manufacturer.

ETA: one more thing, you might be able to fit two seats side-by-side if you do the marathon and one radian, both facing the same direction (I assume you'd want them both rearfacing now).

Last edited by jjordan; 11-04-2010 at 03:24 PM.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

I don't recall ever seeing something like that with our marathon? Is this something that comes with newer seats? My marathon was manufactured and purchased in 2007. Maybe we just lost ours years ago.
Can I buy one?

ETA: nvm, found it! Neat!

http://www.britaxusa.com/store/detai...onnector-strap

Last edited by ktmamma; 11-04-2010 at 06:28 PM.