Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
mamamanya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Were you Homeschooled as a child? Did you like it?

If you were home schooled, did you like it? Would you HS your children?

I am soooo nervous about HSing, and would like to hear any "success stories" from you or anyone you know!

Please share mamas!

Advertisement

Last edited by mamamanya; 11-02-2010 at 02:14 PM.
mamamanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
mamamanya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Were you Homeschooled as a child? Did you like it?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Alleeta
Registered Users

Hello,

I just actually posted about this in the other thread, I'll re-post it here for you though

Update: re-posted and added a bit more.

Last edited by Alleeta; 11-02-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Alleeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Alleeta
Registered Users

I was homeschooled till 14 (started junior college at that point), with a mom who also couldn't manage a clean house, didn't have structured school hours, etc, etc. We did mostly practial every day things and learned from those, with some workbooks, mostly for math. If we were interested in it, she made it a learning experience. Our scocial activities were wide and varied, including homeschool groups, craft groups, scouting groups, 4H, dance, gymsantics, etc.

What would you expect with a background like that?

Probably not someone who graduated from UC Davis with a BS in Chemistry at 20, and is currently a Sr. Principal Industrial Engineer, but that's what happened. And I was not the only one, my sister is a Mechanical Engineer, currently working on her Masters Degree while working full time. (there are only 2 of us). This trend didn't actually stop with the 2 of us, one whole side of my family decided to homeschool (my mom, and her 2 brothers), so far we have another Mechanical Engineer who is currently Commanding a helicopter unit in the Air Force, an extreemly sucessful graphic artist (works for Affliction designing those really neat shirts you see everywhere these days), another almost Mechanical Engineer and 3 more in college.

And I will happily be giving up that career in a month and a half to stay home and homeschool my own children, which I have been looking forward to doing for many years. in fact my husband and I have been working toward this since we were married 13 years ago, unfortunately he didn't have the advantage of being homeschooled and hadn't even finished junior college when we got married, so it has taken us awhile to work through that.

I am now also looking at how I want to do this, and I do want to keep many of the practical things, but I also want to do a little more topic structure (I'd like to do more history than we did, and I would really love to do latin when they are old enough) I am also looking at Montessori methods for all ages, since the major tenant is "follow the child", which I very much believe in. In fact, my mom is currently working to become a Montessori Elementary teacher right now, she found that it is closely aligned with her educational ideas (which is probably why I have been so drawn to it).

There were of course times I wondered what the "school kids" were going through and experiencing, and occationally it was tough being "different" since everyone just automatically assumes that everyone went to school, but I honestly wouldn't change it for the world. I think I was 22 or so before I truly began to appreaciate what my parents did for me by homeschooling.

I hope that helps!
Alleeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I wasn't, but my husband was. He was homeschooled from 1st grade up through high school. He was the one that insisted we homeschool our kids, and after my experience in the last couple public schools I was in, I agreed. DH and his brothers and sister all had excellent educations, they were able to work earlier so they could pay for college and car and whatnot, but still had time to be young. They did 4-H, community theater, and church activities. One brother went to technical college, his sister went to college (including her masters), the other brother went in the navy and learned a trade there, and my husband went to college and then joined the service.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was and I loved it! I ended up getting my license for cosmetology(what I always wanted to do) and graduated at the highest they had ever graduated a student! I never wanted to go to school because what kid wants to sit in class all day long? I'm super social so no issues with that and my parents had all of us children involved in extra things. It was great!
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
hobbsandbean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, loved it.

Parents pulled me out of public school after second grade at the same time their best friends were doing the same. Anyway, we were not as un-schooled as a pp, but it was verrrrrry laid back. Worked perfectly for a driven kid like me, a little more iffy for my even more laid back brother. I graduated at 15 and started at a junior college. I never got a degree, but that was not what was important to us. Never stopping learning was always the focus and that has continued.

We are now homeschooling as well, but using the classical model, so it is way more intense than what I experienced. It's been challenging but fantastic. I'm filling in all the gaps I had. Our third grader knows more Latin and English grammar than I ever did before.
baby keelah . 3 months, finalizing adoption now!
hobbsandbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
mamamanya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW, these stories are so encouraging, thanks ladies

Also, please continue to add your stories to this thread...we can never get enough inspiration, right?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

I posted on another thread but I'll post in more detail here. My and my two siblings were homeschooled our entire lives. As were most of the people we grew up with incidentally. My mom was very unorganized. We grew up on an apple farm so in like September she'd get some new school stuff and set a schedule and we'd do it, for a few days then do less of it, then take off for apple season. We'd take off a couple weeks for thanksgiving and christmas, we'd take off for summer from like may through September. And we had very little structure when we did do school either. We had some workbooks, we'd always have a math book and we all learned to read young and read a lot on our own and my mom always bought us lots of books.
I started college at 15 and graduated nursing school with honors. Both my siblings went to Dartmouth on full scholarship. (my younger sister is not self motivated either.)
I've never regretted it. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to go for a few months like a social experiment but I didn't want to waste the time either. Neither of my siblings regret it either. I think the important thing is to make sure your kids can read well, do arithmetic and can write well (once they're older). Being able to do those things will put them way above average. Once they have those fundamentals they'll figure out what they want to learn and learn it. The other stuff is honestly fluff because if they don't want to know it they won't retain any of it anyway.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
lalakiwi7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was homeschooled from grade 3 on.... I graduated from high school when I was 16 (just got my GED as my mom was great at homeschooling but sucked at keeping records haha) any way... I graduated with my Masters degree in nursing (also with honors) before I turned 23 and have been working as a nurse practitioner in an emergency room ever since. I loved homeschooling... but I have a sister who is 15 months younger than me and she HATED homeschooling so my mom did send her to school because it wasn't worth the arguing. Each kid is different. There are def right and wrong ways to do it. I have friends who "homeschool" and they mostly just keep their kids at home and occasionally do some work every now and then and end up with kids who can't do anything with their life. It's actually pretty sad.

I also never regretted it. I was also very social.... extremely so and was into gymnastics so was always busy and active. At least put your kiddos in a sport of some kind so they can be active/social.
lalakiwi7 is offline   Reply With Quote