Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ever start in the middle of the year?

I want to start my son on a formal preschool curriculum. Technically, if I follow the school system schedule, he is still pre-k. He turned 5 a couple weeks ago. I have discovered (through actually trying) that I really need a full curriculum to do this. I just don't have a clue what to do and end up not doing much of anything. I feel like he is behind. Although, I know technically he isn't. Next year, we have to make it work or send him to PS. I don't want to do that.

So, I want to start a pre-k curriculum now. I'm afraid to wait till he is supposed to be doing K work this fall to find out that even with a curriculum I'm not able to do it. Then, he would really be behind. (He is my oldest of 5 kids, including 2 sets of twins, almost 3 and almost 7months. I feel like I might not be able to handle everything including homeschooling.)

Anyone just suddenly start in the middle of the year? I know we'll have to go into the summer. Any tips for doing it this way or experiences?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ever start in the middle of the year?

We started preschool in January and finished in June, did some fun stuff over the summer and started K early in August as per DD's request (We weren't due to start until September)... so yeah, you can.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
geocaju
Registered Users

My Mood:

You can do whatever works for your family. That is part of the beauty of homeschooling. We actually just started "formally" Nov. 1st. Granted, my daughter is only 3 and what we are doing I am putting together from various sources as opposed to using a curriculum that is calculated, timed, and complete.

Geo - wife to F & mom to Juju 4 and Cami 1.5 and with #3
pet mommy to a dog, a bird and a fish
Loving every minute of being a SAHM

geocaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sure why not I actually posted a similair ? back in aug. I think We were going to move in sept so we wouldnt start til Oct. All the replies where bacisically like pps. It's one of the beauties of homeschooling and to try not to get stuck in that typical PS calendar. We started in Oct and doing great. We typically do 2 lessons a day, sometimes one, sometimes 3, sometimes none lol just depending on what she already knows and/or needs to work on. At this rate we should be done by mid march

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 11-04-2010 at 11:37 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We work year round. Kearnan is just finishing up with his 2nd grade curriculum and will be starting 3rd grade next week. We don't take long breaks because he back slides too much if we do. We never take a break of longer than 2 weeks preferring a 1 week break here and there to keep up knowledge retention. Plus that way we can have a break when we want a vacation or when we have something come up (like a holiday or convention we are attending or some one gets sick). Every once in a while I will notice one of us hit burn out and we will take a break then too. We are just now getting serious with Tharen's schooling as well and it is mid year. I told him he needs to prove to me that he can work with me and I can actually teach him or I will have to enroll him in the local ISD or find him a charter school for next year (he will be old enough for K). We only have till April to start the charter school enrollment process, they fill quickly.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My son is 5 1/2, he's been in Pre-K, but we are going to start homeschooling probably officially next month or now I guess......we are starting K stuff, I was worried about starting mid year, but have had many tell me not to.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote