Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Once a month cooking-how to get started?

And can I do it if I don't have a deep freezer?

Realistically, I'd want to cook twice a month if possible. Right now I cook twice a week, and make a couple meals each time. I would love to cook less, but I have no idea where to start. My freezer is packed at the moment with frozen chicken, some hamburger, bread (DH takes sandwiches to work and I HATE throwing out bread if it starts to mold), Hot Pockets.
Do I just use up the food I have and then plan to buy in bulk for the month and cook it all up after I buy it?

Also, what works better for you, cooking all at once, or doubling recipes and freezing some? Does one save more money over the other?

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
squishysmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Once a month cooking-how to get started?

Let me start by saying I'm by no means an expert at freezer cooking. I do think you can definitely get two weeks worth of meals in a fridge freezer fairly easily by freezing everything as flat as possible.

I, personally, don't have the time to go to the library to check out any of the freezer assembly books nor do I have the money to buy any so the site I'm loving at the moment is http://onceamonthmom.com/ What I like about her site is that she uses recipes from various blogs so I'm able to make a single batch of whatever recipe is there to try out first to make sure it's a keeper for my family. I have a picky DH and a son with dairy and egg allergies so I have to be careful. Plus, who wants a freezer full of recipes they hate? Her site then calculates the ingredients out in spreadsheet form so I can make a large batch if I want.

My other strategy at the moment... Ground beef and chicken come in 1.5 or 2# packages here and most recipes only call for a pound. So I buy several packages of ground beef and brown it all up with onion and pepper and then portion it out into multiple quart sized freezer bags and then freeze them flat. So when I'm in a hurry, I can just pull out a pack of the already browned meat and unthaw in the microwave just a bit and throw it into my soup, spaghetti, tacos, stew or helper mix. I do the same with chicken except I throw it all in the crockpot with a bit of low sodium chicken bullion and then shred it and put into freezer bags. I can then pull one out and use it for fajitas or bbq chicken sandwiches or any other recipe calling for cooked chicken.

Between those two strategies, we've reduced our eating out quite a bit. I find that I can throw something together with the cooked meats faster than we can get all loaded up in the car and get take out. Anyway, HTH!!!
squishysmom is offline   Reply With Quote