Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
blackberry75's Avatar
blackberry75
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,640
Shepard's pie and super easy bread

Shepard's pie must not contain onion or mushrooms. Ideas?

Is there a bread recipe that doesn't require a lot of kneading, but is still good for sandwiches and toast? I've got whole wheat flour, wheat gluten, all purpose flour and flaxseed meal.

Advertisement

__________________
$5 sign up bonus at inboxdollars
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Carl Sagan
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

Last edited by blackberry75; 11-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
natesgirl's Avatar
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,589
My Mood:
Re: Shepard's pie and super easy bread

irish soda bread
http://pleasegivepeasachance.blogspo...oda-bread.html - I have done whole wheat, added flax, wheat germ all sorts of stuff to this bread and it still comes out

I just make shepherds pie with mixed veggies and mashed potatoes with a brown gravy from the drippings and a roux
__________________
FACEBOOK for specials and announcements
Cooking/Bento Blog Give Peas A Chance
natesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
blackberry75's Avatar
blackberry75
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,640
Re: Shepard's pie and super easy bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesgirl View Post
irish soda bread
http://pleasegivepeasachance.blogspo...oda-bread.html - I have done whole wheat, added flax, wheat germ all sorts of stuff to this bread and it still comes out

I just make shepherds pie with mixed veggies and mashed potatoes with a brown gravy from the drippings and a roux
Soda bread sounds really yummy. I don't keep buttermilk on hand either, how much vinegar do you add to your milk? I've never heard of doing that. Also, could I make a bunch of dough, then freeze it to bake later or will it not bake properly?

Lastly, what's roux? I feel stupid asking, but don't know what that is.
__________________
$5 sign up bonus at inboxdollars
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Carl Sagan
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Guardandolaluna's Avatar
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 3,312
My Mood:
Re: Shepard's pie and super easy bread

i make our shepherd's pie similar to the way the whole Foods deli does. I use ground turkey, onions, garlic - then add some organic ketchup to taste, then add frozen peas and sweet corn. I put that in a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle some cheese on top, bake til heated through and sprinkle green onions or chives to garnish My kids LOVE this as do my friends who we have made it for.

A roux is melted butter with flour added and cooked used to thicken a sauce such as gravies, bechemel, or cheese sauce
__________________
Kristi - Wife to Claudio and homeschooling SAHM to 4kids



Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
blackberry75's Avatar
blackberry75
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,640
Re: Shepard's pie and super easy bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardandolaluna View Post
i make our shepherd's pie similar to the way the whole Foods deli does. I use ground turkey, onions, garlic - then add some organic ketchup to taste, then add frozen peas and sweet corn. I put that in a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle some cheese on top, bake til heated through and sprinkle green onions or chives to garnish My kids LOVE this as do my friends who we have made it for.

A roux is melted butter with flour added and cooked used to thicken a sauce such as gravies, bechemel, or cheese sauce
Oh, so that's what it is! Thank you. I've done that, just didn't know it had a name. How do you pronounce roux? Is it french or something?
__________________
$5 sign up bonus at inboxdollars
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Carl Sagan
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Lu&Ce'sMommy's Avatar
Lu&Ce'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2Lucas
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids,MI
Posts: 1,964
My Mood:
Re: Shepard's pie and super easy bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry75 View Post
Oh, so that's what it is! Thank you. I've done that, just didn't know it had a name. How do you pronounce roux? Is it french or something?




You pronounce it like the end of Kangaroo It is French

I just make Shepards pie with Ketchup mixed in the ground beef I do use onion or garlic powder for flavor, mashed potatoes on top and cheese. I mix green beans in with the ground beef too.
__________________
Michelle~Nurse to many Wife to DH, Nate 09/23/06 and Mommy to Lucas 2/28/09 and Cecelia 2/27/11! Fur babies Stampy and Kimber. ~No man is a failure who has friends~
Lu&Ce'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.