Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Give me tips - Starting EC at 15 months

We are PLing/ECing my DD, who's 15 months. My mom put it very accurately today: "She's training you!" Yep, basically, but it's not a big deal.
Here's where we're at.

1) DD can hold her pee for over two hours.
2) She even brought me the potty, but I was cooking/not paying attention, so she had an accident. She immediately (and loudly) alerted me.
3) I'm making the PSSSS sound but I don't know how much she's catching on. Same with me signing "potty".
4) I have no problem with butt-naked time and allow LOTS of it.
5) Of the six or so pees that she did have today, I only managed to get one in the potty.
6) I think DD doesn't like using her potty because it's plastic/uncomfortable.

Mostly, I need help with #6. What do I do? I laid a prefold across it and she peed (FINALLY!) But, I think she was holding it because the potty is uncomfortable feeling. I keep her really distracted and happy when I do put her on the potty, but I think she's just uncomfortable SITTING, and on that hard surface no less. Somebody needs to make potty covers! LOL!

I would appreciate any and all tips that you can throw at me. I'm very excited!

Advertisement

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: Give me tips - Starting EC at 15 months

You're so right - Big Deal!! Either you're "trained" to change a dirty diaper, or you're "trained" to help her use a toilet. What's the difference?? (except all the benefits? )

Anyway - as for #6: they do make "potty cozies!" Or you can make them yourself. There are patterns for free online. I don't have a link, but either search the forum, or google. i think there's even a website or blog called "do it yourself EC" or something.

you could also try a toilet seat insert - sometimes those are softer than the hard plastic little potties.

Keep up with the signing and pssssss - even if she never does it back - she'll begin to understand and it WILL be a useful method of communication. That's the main goal here = communication.

Lots of naked time = great! That will help for sure!

and lastly - try not to keep track of how many "catches" vs. "misses" you have. The goal is communication and helping your LO to have control of her own body - not a goal of getting 100% in the potty 100% of the time. (keeping track is encouraging when things go well, and REALLY discouraging when they're not going so well!)

You're doing great! Feel free to ask if you have more questions! The mamas on this board ROCK!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Give me tips - Starting EC at 15 months

my DS is 15mo and we are jut starting this too. He has suddenly become very tired of wet diapers and has been trying to rip them off and is dry in the mornings so I think it's good time for us to start. I wish I had started when he was NB but I had 3 in diapers at the time and was mostly concerned about getting the bigger 2 to go in th potty. I don't have any good advice really except it sounds like you are doing good and don't stress. I'm also encouraged to hear about smeone else with a LO this age trying to PL/EC. It seems like most people start much earlier with EC or much later with PL.

My DS hates sitting on the potty. I have noticed from lots of naked time that he ALWAYS pees standing up so I'm thinking I may have to try a different position than sitting on the potty. I got him to go on the potty this morning by using warm water but as soon as he realised he was peeing he stopped and got down and peed in the floor. Anyone elses suggestions on that would also be greatly apprecciated