Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
4kidzmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Newbie question

First - I hope I am posting this in the right place.
Second - I am having such a hard time getting an answer to this question.

What do I need to use for my stash for a newborn? I have always started p/t when my kids are 3 months old or so. I don't want to do that this time.
So far I have a doz pre-folds, 3 pockets, and 1 wool cover. (Which is SO cute!) I know that I want to have a few different things so that I can find what I "love", but how many things all together do I need? I guess I am asking - how many diapers a day - no mater what kind - will I need?

If you got through this thanks!

Advertisement

4kidzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newbie question

You will be changing newborns more. I would say at least 12-15 diapers or more a day.I changed quite often. I'm sure you could get by with a little less but it's better to have more than not enough ykwim?
For every other day washing I would keep at least 30 or more diapers on hand. Congrats to you.

Last edited by hollyhobby30; 04-27-2006 at 04:42 PM.
hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
allie911
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me, 24 seems to be the magic number...enough for two full days and usually leaves me a few extra in case I get in a bind and can't wash until day 3
allie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on your newborn!
At 3 months, my ds was going through 12-18 chinese prefolds per day and 5 covers (you'll need another cover when one gets soiled).
Fitted diapers contain messes better than prefolds, (which keeps the cover clean), but you still want to have enough covers to let them dry inbetween uses. You'll probably need more covers and a few more prefolds for one day. HTH!
Old 04-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Newborns poop a lot so need changed often. For me, I needed at least 12 dipes a day and 3 covers for the first 6 weeks. Once the poop slowed down it went to 8-10. Prefolds also tend to leak on the cover so that means enough covers to make it through a day- day and half. PUL covers can always be washed out in the sink if needed. They clean and dry easily. I'd get extra prefolds since they also make GREAT burp cloths.

Don't forget something to put dipes in at home- a large wet bag, medium flip trash can, even an old litter tub will work; something to put dipes in when you're away from home- lots of good small wet bags out there; Snappis or pins if you plan to close the prefolds. Cloth wipes also work great. I started with a bunch of cheap thin washcloths. They work fine. I squirt with plain water before use. On a newborn warm water from the tap is nice. If you use a squirt bottle warm the wipe in your hand after wettng by rubbing it.

HTH. Congrats!!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceNzanesmom
Newborns poop a lot so need changed often. For me, I needed at least 12 dipes a day and 3 covers for the first 6 weeks. Once the poop slowed down it went to 8-10. Prefolds also tend to leak on the cover so that means enough covers to make it through a day- day and half. PUL covers can always be washed out in the sink if needed. They clean and dry easily. I'd get extra prefolds since they also make GREAT burp cloths.

Don't forget something to put dipes in at home- a large wet bag, medium flip trash can, even an old litter tub will work; something to put dipes in when you're away from home- lots of good small wet bags out there; Snappis or pins if you plan to close the prefolds. Cloth wipes also work great. I started with a bunch of cheap thin washcloths. They work fine. I squirt with plain water before use. On a newborn warm water from the tap is nice. If you use a squirt bottle warm the wipe in your hand after wettng by rubbing it.

HTH. Congrats!!
Yeahthat!
I remember how I almost in 'shock' when another mama told me about her amount of NB stash while we're both preggo w/our 2nd kid and by the time DS was born I was glad I listened to her! I thought having 20 KLs0 were a lot, but they really aren't! DS went through them w/in 1.5 days!

Congrats on your pregnancy! CDing a NB is so much fun!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

They say newborns go through an average of 12 dipes a day. That being said, I'm starting out my stash with 27 dipes. I'm also probably gonna' be washing everyday if I have to. We'll see. Congrats on the little one. We're due towards the end of May so I'm all stashed up and just can't wait for her to come!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
lovencloth
Registered Users
seller

Location: MN, I have cats, but they don't smoke, and neither do we.

Congrats! I am due in Aug. and I did not cloth my newborn the first time, something I regret very much. I was told that between 18-24 diapers is a good place to be, if you have a few extra, that is always a good thing, you don't want to have to do laundry at 2:00 in the morning. I am going to have about 8 fitteds, 2 pockets, 5 AIO's and round out the rest with some fitted contours that I am going to make myself.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Dawn
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would have a minimum of 15-18 diapers per day on hand for a newborn. Then multiple that by how many days you are going to wait to do laundry to get a total.

5-6 covers, esp if they can air inbetween uses. If they can't, I would ahve about 10 covers.

I would rather have more, than not enough.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote