Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Really need advice!

My DD will be 2.5 next month. She has been going on the potty since just before she turned two. She is completely trained at DC. Wears panties all day except for nap and rarely has an accident. When we are out and about she will stay dry and use the potty everywhere we go. The problem is at home. She REFUSES to go potty when we are at home. She usually asks to wear her diapers and if she does have panties on will have accidents all the time and not think twice about it. She will cry if I try to get her to use the potty.

I've considered going completely cold turkey and putting all the diapers away and just putting her in panties at home. I'm home with her all this week, so I could do that. Is this going to help or am I just going to end up scrubbing my carpets?

I'm looking for some advice, but would like to stay away from bribing her. Thanks!

Advertisement

kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
JoelleB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Really need advice!

I am no help because i can't get my 2.5 year old to go at all.. she will sit on the potty forever but refuses to go on a regular basis.. I would just go cold turkey.. It sounds like you have a control problem on your hands which is normal with girls!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Sakari
Registered Users

Yeah, I'd just ditch the dipes. Don't be mean about it, or blame her - just say that they're not available or whatever. Nonchalant. If she wants to stay clean and dry and get back to whatever she was doing faster - then she uses the potty. No biggy!

If she just wets the floor - make sure you have her help clean it up. It's not a punishment - it's just what needs to be done. (and feel free to make it a thing. It can take awhile! that's ok! That makes your logic that using the potty is faster even more true!)

I agree - I'd stay away from bribing and from guilt or big reactions. It might be hard not to let your frustration show, especially if she doesn't jump on your bandwagon immediately! But you can do it! The more you let her deal with the logical consequences of her choices - and don't let her pull you into a power struggle game - the easier and quicker this will resolve itself.

GL! (and yes, you might end up cleaning a few carpets - but it won't last forever! )

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
agawron
Registered Users
seller

I'm looking for help with my 2 yr 8 mo boy too. We did have a special prize for him when he stayed dry all day and it helped somewhat but he still doesn't tell us when he needs to go. Sometimes with girls, it's the new special underwear or special fairy outfit or whatever that they don't want to soil. I wonder if I let Timmy wear his Buzz Lightyear or cowboy outfit every day if he would figure out how to not soil them?
agawron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
FlyingMama
Registered Users
seller

Definitely sounds like a control issue to me. I would ditch the diapers. But have her help you do it. One morning have her "help" you throw them all away (or at least put them in a trash bag and hide them) and tell her that from now on she wears panties. Might take a few days but she'll get it.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the advice on just going for it. We have had a really good week. The first day she had several accidents. The next day she went on the potty a lot and wore panties out to dinner and stayed dry until the very end on the way home. She had 1 accident yesterday and wore panties all day today while we were out shopping. The potty has been less of a struggle, but she still has her moments. She has been a little constipated, so I'm sure that isn't helping. Hopefully we are on the path to success at home!
kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ditch the diapers(and the carpet lol). if she has an accident have her clean it up. my 2.5 year old has been in undies for 18 months. she is dry all night BUT everyday has at least one accident cb she gets playing and doesnt want to "miss" whatever she is doing. we dont punish her, but we do reward her for being dry throughout the day. i kid you not(try not to laugh) the only "reward" that works is letting her do a 'dry dance' seriously she will come up to me and say "mommy, i not wet. please i can do a dry dance?" its the funniest thing ever bc she never got excited about stickers of m&ms.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote