Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Question My 11 1/2 month old hates solids!

My daughter Evelyn is 11 1/2 months old. Back at around 6-8ish months old she would eat oatmeal, rice cereal, banannas, and the couple other pureed foods that she likes. Since starting her on fingerfoods she has absolutely refused to be spoon fed (she was never that crazy about it anyway). Problem is, she hardly eats any of the finger foods we give her -- she maybe manages to actually eat 1/5 of the food we give her at a meal and plays with a pokes at the rest. How can I get her to eat more solids? She drinks about six or seven bottles of formula in a 24 hour period. (I had to wean her at six months because I lost my supply due to being pregnant.) That's two bottles during the night! You should see just how soaked her diapers are in the morning. I don't really think it would be right to try and nightwean her as she obviously seems to need the nighttime bottles as formula is her only form of notable sustenance at this point.

What can I do to get her to take to solids as her main form of sustenance...rather than her main form of entertainment?

Wife to Nathanael (31 July 2004), mother to Evelyn Aurelia Ione (11 July 2005) and Michael Eleos Enoch (8 July 2006) and Jonas Sebastian Seraphim (24 September 2007)
ISO: medium and large boy or GN fitteds, medium Fuzzibunz
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
I wish I could turn the tide!
My Mood:
Re: My 11 1/2 month old hates solids!

Oh my.., Mason is the same!!! He started out being an eager eater (we started solids when he was 20 wks old ) and he looooved his yams and rice cereal, sweet peas and such. Now I'm having a real hard time feeding him solids, none of his former favorite foods do it for him it seems!
We switched to whole milk a few wks ago when he started pushing the bottle of formula away and now that's all he wants.. eventhough never more than 3-4 oz at a time...

I wonder if that's an age thing?
I'll be watching this thread!

mama, you're not alone!
~*Val*~ Veg*n SAHM to 2 kids (Feb'02 & July '05) married to my soulmate
If I don't respond, it's because we're 6 hrs ahead of EST and I might be sleeping already
FitMommyOf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
Registered Users

Honestly, she's fine without it. Lot's of kids don't eat much in the way of solids til they are much older. I would just keep offering and if she doesn't eat it, don't worry about it. She won't be taking a bottle for the rest of her life, someday she will eat solids.

I have a very petite child who was the same way. ONce she showed an interest in solids, she would take a bite, chew it and spit it out. She's three now and eats like a little piggy.
kathywiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right

david hated finger foods too
well he use to gag and what not
so i stopped. only give him baby food (pureed) .
iwouldnt stop the formual at nigh tthough. seems that helps .
she thrivingand happy i would just wait lil more
SAHM to David (5) ; wife to my sweetie. Praise the Lord
sorry Im not around as I use to be
Old DS Feedback DP Feedback action NOW!!
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'd just try not to worry, as hard as that is!!

My ds didn't eat any solids at 1 yr & still eats very little solids at 2 yrs... As long as you keep introducing/offering different foods (which I'm sure you are!), then she will come around to solids eventually!

I started out a bit stressed about the eating, cause people said this & that , but found out later that my ds is not the only late starter of eating solids!! Some mama's even wait until 1 year to start solids if they have allergies in the family...

Enjoy your little sweet heart & the infant feedings! They'll be gone before we know it!

ETA: I agree with SandyG about continuing the night feedings... as long as it isn't largly hurting your family's sleep... & actually you might consider a mini fridge in you bedroom to keep the bottles in...
Jennifer, mommy to zander, 5/30/04 & maddie, 7/8/07 & lizzie 10/01/09
born at home, breastfed, cloth diapered, co-sleeping, gently disciplined & loved
Cleaning out the closets! New Cloth Wipes & Embroidered Shirts $6/dozen & /shirt!

Last edited by mommy2zander; 06-21-2006 at 10:23 AM.
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote