Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Kryster
Registered Users

My Mood:
Not ecing but is this a good idea for PLing anyway?

DS is 20 months old. we have a potty. he likes to follow us to the bathroom and sit on it whenever we go on the toilet.
the other day i let him go diaperless and he peed on the floor, and I told him what it was, told him we go on the potty- we cleaned it up, and then he sat on the potty half naked of his own accord (the next time I sat on the toilet though)
is it a good idea to do these things even though I know he isnt ready yet? will it help him to be ready?

Advertisement

Kryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not ecing but is this a good idea for PLing anyway?

My daughter's only 8.5 months and as I currently sit her on the floor when I go in the bathroom, I figure why not sit her on the potty. I thought it'd be good to get her use to it and it'd be cool if she dirtied even one less cloth diaper per day. Long story longer, I think it'll help. Let us know how it works out.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Sakari
Registered Users

I think so. I mean, using the potty is normal. it's convenient. It's more comfortable. It's ultimately faster than changing a diaper. All the reasons YOU use a toilet apply to your child (general you and your!) - so why not let them in on the secret now?! I think the method you describe is great - you're being matter of fact, not telling him he's BAD for peeing on the floor - but drawing awareness to his bodily action and showing him a cleaner, more comfortable place to take care of business!

Having an open-bathroom-door policy (and inviting your LO to "go" at the same time) makes sense to me! DD was being EC'd while DSD was PTing - and it was just normal! We all had the intention of using the potty - we didn't always make it, but that's ok! We'd try again next time.

Have fun! (seriously, pottying can be a fun bonding time!) Don't expect PLing to happen overnight, but also don't hold him back because you don't think it should happen "this fast" either. Let him explore and then make opportunities for him to be a part of it with you! You're doing great!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!

Last edited by Sakari; 12-03-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

It definitely can't hurt! Have you heard of the book Diaper Free before 3? It uses a similar strategy of introducing the potty as "normal" from a young age. I don't agree with everything in the book (oddly enough, she discourages cloth diapers as "too much work"), but overall it makes a lot of sense!
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece Be With You View Post
It definitely can't hurt! Have you heard of the book Diaper Free before 3? It uses a similar strategy of introducing the potty as "normal" from a young age. I don't agree with everything in the book (oddly enough, she discourages cloth diapers as "too much work"), but overall it makes a lot of sense!
The author of diaper-free before 3 does not discourage her readers from CDing as being "too much work." On the contrary, she said that she admires people that do, but that it was too much work for her. And considering that she's a practicing pediatrician and mother of 3, I can't really blame her for saying that. What's odd is that she was willing to put her kids in cloth underpants with a dappi cover, but that she felt CDs were more work than cleaning up their frequent accidents.

Anyway, yes, it's a good, logical book and I highly recommend it.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Thanks for the clarification tweedledum, I have only skimmed the book and read reviews, that makes a lot more sense
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are doing something very similar with DS (18 months) for the last few months. He is now starting to occasionally ask in the evenings to go. If he asks he often will pee in the potty. We cheer him on when he uses it (or just sits on it) to make it a positive thing. But we're not trying to train him or get him out of diapers just yet. I don't think it will hurt anything as long as you do it on their terms until they are more able to control when they go.