Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BF'ing while sick

I have breastfed through many things with my 3 kids but this time is different. I have such a bad sore throat that I can hardly swallow and it has been a week now. I went to the doct and they did an in office strep test and it was neg. I was prescribed a z-pack and I am on day 4...shouldn't I feel better by now? I would think I would be. I hate to take meds while bf'ing but I am wondering if I should try something else now. Nothing is working on my throat either. I have tried warm salty water gargle, lossenges, sprays and now the z-pack. Should I be worried that I have something haneous? I am calling my doctor tomorrow to see what they say.

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF'ing while sick

after DD was born (like by the time we left the hospital) i was SICK, i had a sore throat, sinus infection, fever, felt HORRIBLE. everyone (including DS) in the house got it except for her. my inlaws were visiting and were hinting that she was going to get sick from feeding off of me, but i knew that she wouldnt because she would get the antibodies. i felt HORRIBLE but im glad that i didnt cave because it wouldnt have been good at all for a newbie to get what we had.

ANYWAYS lol, i think you should continue the salt gargle and call back your doc tomorrow to see what they think. when i was sick i refused to take any meds (because i was just really scared of it since she was literally just a few days old) so i just stuck it out and i was sick for a good 2 weeks before it went away it SUCKED. looking back i should have gotten some medicine that is tested as to be safe for nursing moms because it would have saved so much stress and pain.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
tobineri
Registered Users

I would say definitely call your dr. back, but no matter what, it's better to keep BF. Whatever you might have, your baby's already been exposed to it, so she needs the antibodies that are in your milk to protect her. It's more important than ever to BF when you're sick, and with the exception of very few illnesses (HIV, certain cancers because of treatments that you'll need, etc.), it is always recommended to BF through whatever illness you might have. Good luck, and hope you're feeling better soon! If the antibiotics aren't working, it may just be a really strong virus Take your vitamins!
tobineri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I am still EBF. Can't stop because I would be SO engorged if I did. I did have dh give him a bottle the other night because I felt so ill and just wasn't drinking enough because of the bad sore throat. But we picked right back up the next morning. He is a hungry little guy!
I do feel better today. At least I can swallow with out cringing.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
rsu
Registered Users

I hope you continue to feel better, and I commend you on continuing to BF through it. I BF through my first illness this last week - norovirus - and it was rough! I had a hard time keeping hydrated and was fortunate to have a frozen supply that my DH could supplement from so I didn't have to nurse as often as possible - although I was hesitant to have her miss any feeding from me right now becuase I wanted her to get my antibodies. It seems to have paid off - although she did have some mildly more runny diapers, she has stayed in good spirits and doesn't seem to have gotten the vile illness to the extent my DH and I did.

I think nursing did make it harder for me to get better, though, so I commend any mom who continues BFing while really sick. In the end I had to take immodium, and although I was a little concerned about it passing through the milk, I decided that me staying hydrated was in my baby's best interests.
rsu is offline   Reply With Quote