Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Registered Users
She'll sit on the potty, but never produces

My girl is nearly 2 1/2 and her school is really great about having the kids sit on the potty hourly. We have tried doing the same at home, but I can't get too excited about it because she never produces anything. She happily sits, and even tells me "i need to go potty". She pulls down her pants, sits, says she's done, pulls them back up, etc. But for the 6 months that she has been doing this routine, she has literally peed in the potty twice (and that was a lucky first-thing in the morning catch), and has pooped once or twice. The rest of the time it's in a diaper. If I let her go diaperless, she will hold it until I put a diaper back on, or will pee on the floor even though we sit on the potty every 15 - 30 minutes.

Any ideas on how to get this to click for her? My son was so much easier! I'd really like to help her figure this out, because it will be holding us back from preschool in a few months.

karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: She'll sit on the potty, but never produces

I'd give it a break for a bit then go at it again. For my daughter we talked up panties big time... then one day (2y5mo) I put her in them and we made a big deal about it. She peed about 4 times that day on the floor. Every time she did, I'd say oh oh, you peed on the floor. Where should you pee? (she'd say the potty) and then I'd lead her into the bathroom and say yes you're supposed to put your pee in the potty. Then we'd make a big deal, call daddy, get a snack etc.

If you can deal with the mess for a bit Id try that. We use pull ups for going out and for naps and bed. We just today ventured to church in panties and it went well.

Good luck!
s2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: She'll sit on the potty, but never produces

My dd did this too... She loved sitting on then potty, but never actually went. We never officially tried potty training her...just let her go on as much as she wanted and thought that eventually she would go, but it never happened! A couple weeks ago, we started talking about no more diapers and her wearing panties and all that and had a little countdown. "next week you're going to wear panites!!!". And so on. Then the day after Thanksgiving we just put her in panties when she woke up and she was so excited! It only took her a couple of days to catch on. She hasn't had an accident at home since the 5 th day. I thought it would be so hard because she never had actually went potty on the potty, and when we took the diapers away she just got it. The only problem is that she is has yet to go in a public problems anywhere else. We're not even 2 weeks in so I'm not worried about that yet. My point is that maybe she will surprise you like my dd did.
Danielle, happy wife and Mommy to B, A and newbie J!
danimdel is offline   Reply With Quote