Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
GooserGray
Registered Users
seller

Help! My 2.5 year old is scared to use the potty!

My 2.5 year old seems totally resistant to potty training. We've tried the 3 day method, but to no avail and also tried using timers and abundant rewards. She totally understands the concept of using the potty, but she's scared to death of actually "giving" it anything. She often asks to wear underwear and she'll keep them dry for hours until she needs to go at which point she begs me to put her in a diaper. Has anyone been through anything similar? Do you have any suggestions, if so? Thank you!

Advertisement

GooserGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
GooserGray
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help! My 2.5 year old is scared to use the potty!

Anyone??? I'm desperate for any suggestions!
GooserGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: Help! My 2.5 year old is scared to use the potty!

I haven't been there really because DD was EC'd so she was more comfortable with toilets than DSD was when she was PTing! But on that, DSD was a bit apprehensive of public toilets, so I would just make sure that we had (more so at home) an open-bathroom-door policy, and we talked about it a lot. Keeping it normal, ya know? If she's never seen or heard anyone else use a toilet (or rarely) and then all of a sudden we want her to do it herself, it would be unnerving! Not sure what your policy is on that tho

and I NEVER flushed a toilet without DSD's "approval" first. Even automatic ones, I still hold my hand over the sensor while she goes, then we/she wipes, then she covers her ears, gets ready, then nods.... THEN I let go of the sensor and it will flush.

I would forgo the treats and overactive praise - let her own the experience herself instead of doing it for outside reasons. Show her why YOU like to use a toilet (clean, fast, comfortable). Nobody's too young to appreciate that stuff!

Since she's had what seems to be a reason to fear the toilet, can you use a potty? or something new that doesn't have a negative association? Have you tried sitting her on it with her clothes on? I haven't done that, but I've read about people doing it. and then make sure that potty time is a fun bonding time. Not a weird naked secluded "private" time - most 2yo's don't feel the desire to be very private Ever, in my experience! They like to be right where the action is, ya know?!

Try to let it be a no pressure deal - try not to think about the preschool that she needs to be PTd in order to attend, etc. That will only make it stressful, which she will sense, and then delay things because she'll wonder what the stress is about!

No stress, fun, bonding time, new potty, different location - and see how that goes!

I think I read somewhere about a mom who would give her LO a diaper to go in, since he would beg, but eventually go him to at least be in the bathroom while he eliminated, which then made the transition somehow easier, from diaper to potty. Not sure tho, of the details there.

Oh, another thought, if she prefers to stand to poo (or pee) - lots of kids do at one point or another - that could be a reason she doesn't want to sit on the toilet. Can you let her stand in the bathtub instead? (worked wonders for DD and then it didn't even end up lasting too long) and make sure she isn't constipated because that will only make things harder on both of you!

GL! This won't last forever! Show her that you're not afraid of the potty, and eventually she'll see there isn't any reason for her to be worried, either.

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote