Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Part-time ECing and peeing on the floor! UPDATE in OP

I would consider us part-time ECers. Since DS was very young, we give him naked time in the evening and when we see a sign, we bring him to the potty. We've been pretty successful with pooping... well, we know when he's about to but whether we can get to him in time and get him to the toilet... well, yes, we've cleaned up our share of feces

So, he's a year now. We know that he will pee within about 30 seconds of taking off his diaper. So we bring him to his potty and he sits on it and smiles and wiggles... and then wants to come off. He sits on the floor, pulls at his penis and then pees on the floor.

I honestly think that part of it is that he wants to play with the pile of 'water' that he's made on the floor, though we don't let him!

Any ideas for us?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Dec 21

DS LOVES the water idea. He sits on his potty and plays with the water... but still won't pee in the toilet. After about a minute, he squirms and wants off, so we take him off... and he pees on the floor!!

How long do you 'make' your LO sit there for? If they want off, do you let them? So frustrating, especially when we KNOW he's going to go!!

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA

Last edited by hippieintraining; 12-22-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: update
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Part-time ECing and peeing on the floor!

lol. hmm...Claire pees on the floor also sometimes when her diaper is off...it's almost like she knows that she doesn't have to sit in it, so why not?!

I'm not sure what to do other than talking to him about why it's better for him to pee in the potty and hope that he gets it eventually? or watching him like a hawk and queing him while he's peeing, or take him immediately as he starts peeing. I know that Claire can and will stop if I pick her up, so maybe pick him up immediately and sit him on the potty again?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried giving him something extra fun to play with while he is sitting on the potty? Maybe a special toy that could just be for potty time? Or if he really wants to play with water...maybe have a plastic bowl with a little water he can splash with his hands while he sits? Or let him wash his hands after potty time with sudsy soap and make that the "water play" time? With my DS we distract him by letting watch his favorite baby video while he sits. But he's too young to get off and crawl away yet so we are lucky so far!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

I love the bowl of water idea!!! We've tried the toy, but he's so distracted by the novelty of the bathroom... Yes, he's the kind of kid who just wants to play in the toilet!!

We'll just prepare ourselves for a wet floor... but if it's not pee, we're happy!

thanks!

My ISO/IHA
Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Sakari
Registered Users

special toys, singing songs, interactive action songs?

OR, I've never tried this, but maybe he feels more comfortable sitting on the floor than on the potty? Could you make a "potty spot" or something! that could be a towel on the floor beside the potty? That way he can sit, yet the towel would soak it up so that he couldn't play in it. IDK, that's probably crazy.

GL!!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:06 AM   #6
wild fire child
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What if you made it so he has an urge to pee when on the toilet? My DS is older, and kept sitting on the toilet asking me to help him pee. After a week or two, I thought to turn on the sink... he peed right away (hadn't yet until then). About a week of sink on when peeing and now he doesn't need it. Another idea I haven't tried, but I know works for postpartum mamas having trouble peeing, is a few drops of peppermint oil in the toilet, it supposedly helps some mamas avoid a catheter!
wild fire child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Great ideas! We tried the bowl of water today and he LOVED it! He sat on the potty happily, but didn't go this time!! Oh well, one step closer.

I'll try the towel idea too and the running water!!

My ISO/IHA