Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
juliemom23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Begging for stinky diaper help!!!

I am so tired of my diapers stinking. I do not understand it. We have hard well water, but we use a water softener. Here's my washing rountine. I do a cold wash with just baking soda. I guess I consider this my rinse cycle, is this a problem? Then I do a hot wash/cold rinse with a small amount of All Free and Clear. Then I do another cold wash/rinse cyle with nothing. I usually let me dipes sit for 2 maybe 3 days in between washings.

I am just so frustrated with this. I just switched dd over to all her medium stash and I love all my cute new diapers, but they already stink and that makes them not so cute. With my small stash I did boil all my dipse and used a little bleach once and it helped, but why are all my new diapers already stinking? Is there a problem with my rountine? Am I doing something wrong? I tried Bac Out and it did not help.

Please help!

Julie

Advertisement

juliemom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:
Re: Begging for stinky diaper help!!!

How much soap are you actually using? Water softeners have a dentancy to make MORE bubbles than needed, you probably only need about 2 tbsp of soap!

Are you using any kind of fabric softener? This can be a problem, even if it is the kind in the soap, make sure you are using free and clear kind of soap, like tide free or all free.

I don;t reccoment bleach AT ALL, it can hurt your diapers.

I would say to strip your dipes, run them thru lots of hot washes without soap until there are NO MORE BUBBLES!!

Hope that helps!!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
ltelly00
Registered Users

I always do a hot wash/cold rinse after my soap routine. I think the hot water helps get out more of the soap and stuff. I think there's been some people who have had trouble with using the All F&C also. And it seriously takes very LITTLE soap to wash your dipes. I use 1-2 tsp of powder.
ltelly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might also try vinegar too in a downy ball. I used to have problems with a weird smell especially in my pockets, so I switched from using GAin to sportswash. I do a cold rinse, hot wash with sportswash, cold rinse with vinegar, and then sometimes one more rinse just to make sure I got out all the vinegar. I dont use the vinegar with every wash. Maybe every 2 weeks or so. Anyway, it got rid of the weird musty smell.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Meisubaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got the diaper stink I always read about a couple weeks ago too. I cured it with using teatree oil in the washes and now its all gone. Ofcourse before I did the teatree I also washed them no soap several times and then did my wash with the teatree oil. We have a water softner too and man does it make SUDS! We also have a front loader. I would try the vinegar to neutralize them and then throw in a few drops of teatree oil in the wash and see if it helps.
Meisubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
fouradss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had stinky issues all the time. I now have it under control. I also have very hard well water, and no softener!!! When I notice them getting stinky I will run a cold wash, hot wash with Allens, and just a small amount of dishsoap. Then I run a hot was with nothing. A cold rinse with vinegar, and continue rinsing until there are no bubbles. Sometimes it takes a while. But the dishsoap seems to be what does it for me. I had the worst problems when I was using All free and clear.
fouradss is offline   Reply With Quote