Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
SevenFinns
Registered Users
Formerly: rebshields
seller

Talking All by himself

Ok, I just had to share this with someone, and since everyone I know is at work right now, and my Facebook friends would think it is TMI, I thought this would be the place.

FINALLY, finally, finally, my DS went to the potty by himself. This has been a long time coming. At 18 mo., he told us when he went poo in his diaper. at 2 years, he cried every time we mentioned the potty (no pressure). On Veterans Day, he peed in the potty and surprised himself (graham cracker bribe). Until yesterday, he peed on the potty if we took him, but peed in his diaper and sat in it unless we asked. Yesterday, he told me he needed to use the potty about 10 times! He didn't wet his diaper or training pants (Potty Praiser and hand-drawn picture of a bug, be thanked) for 6 hrs!

Today, he told me he needed to use the potty, but I wasn't fast enough, so he took off his pants, unsnapped his diaper (didn't know he could do that!), and went to the potty in the dark

We're bribing with M & Ms, but hey, it's working.

While I'm at it, though, does anyone have recommendations for fave training pants with snaps on the sides? I want him to be able to pull them down, but I also want to get to the poo that will inevitably end up there. He refuses to poop on the potty, and I'm not willing yet to clean poo out of his underwear or pull down trainers. We have KN and GADs with side snaps, but I can't get them to stay on him and still be loose enough to pull down.

Any fave night/nap trainers that can contain Niagara Falls?

Also, any thoughts on how to encourage pooping on the potty? It's very obvious when he is about to poop, but he stops immediately if I take him to the potty.

I haven't done searching for recommendations yet, so if you know of a good thread, that would be fine with me

Advertisement

SevenFinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: All by himself

I don't know how much pee they can contain, but I like little comet tail trainers.
Congrats on your son PLing!

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Kryster
Registered Users

My Mood:

does he have any little friends that are potty trained? i ask cause i work in a daycare. I had a little guy who wouldnt poop on the toilet. then he saw his buddy poop on the toilet. after that he was potty trained.
Kryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

How exciting! We are patiently waiting for the self prompted pottying to "click" with DS. He's great as long as I remind him but never does it on his own (a lie - he ONCE did). Congrats, mama!
NewbieSAHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
SevenFinns
Registered Users
Formerly: rebshields
seller

He's not in daycare at the moment, but he'll be starting preschool 2 days a week in Jan or Feb. Let's hope he decides to try on his own before then!

Thanks for the encouragement. So weird. Two years ago, I would have sworn that I would never have a 'conversation' about something like this.
SevenFinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
luvmybubs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love the Happy Heiney's trainers. They seem poofy when you put them on but I think that makes it easier to pull up and down. Plus you can stuff like a diaper to your desired absorbency. I also like the super undies, which you can stuff, byt they are harder to pull down for the child.