Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Cris1980
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
PT with communication delays in 2 year old

Hello,
My 2 year old son is very bright, however his speech is laging. He only says one or two word sentences. He is seen by a speech therapist and is improving. I have tried various efforts to potty train. He will go if he is naked and I leave his potty out. But as soon as I put on boxers or underwear, he wets them. I tried explaining he needs to say or sign potty but it doesn't seem to be working. My speech therapist say to wait but I am worried if I wait to long it will take longer to potty train. He has outgrown his cloth diapers and now wheres disposables, which is costing us a bunch and I hate that it is not eco friendly. But I am at my wit end. Does anyone have any ideas or had experience with something similar to give me direction?

Thank you
Crystal

Advertisement

Cris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Re: PT with communication delays in 2 year old

My DS PT'd the month before his third birthday (it only took 3 days). At that time he was just starting to put 2 words together, and potty was not one of them. I kept a little potty in the family room as well as in the bathroom and made sure that he could pull up/down his pants by himself- that way he didn't have to say anything.

I tend to agree with your ST, that waiting might be the best shot. But, if you'd rather not wait, I'd keep your language simple and consistent. Don't use different phrases. Go potty, go pee-pee, do yo have to pee, etc. all mean the same thing to us as grown ups but can confuse a young child if they are all used at once. Choose one and stick with it that will help him from getting confused.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Cris1980
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PT with communication delays in 2 year old

Thank you for your input. It was very helpful.
Cris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote