Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
sam292
Registered Users

5 week old Baby screams on the potty!

I only just started trying to ec yesterday. So far almost every time i have held him over the potty he has screamed in a quite panicked way - he is not much of a screamy baby so this is quite unusual for him. Anyone else had this problem or got any advice? I have tried a few different holds but he is not happy. As soon as i put him back on the changing mat he stops crying!

Advertisement

sam292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 week old Baby screams on the potty!

He probably doesn't feel secure and is terrified.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
profmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My new babe is 4 weeks. I have a 5 year old who I pottyied starting at 4 months, but with this babe I started once I got home from the hospital.

My babe also cries going potty over any receptical, but its not the panicky kind of way that you describe. In fact she could be content for a minute and just as she is releasing the pee/poop she screams a bit. I don't remember this happening with my first child so I was thinking it could be that she is just startled or surprised to have something coming out of her butt.?

I do also use the little potty (along with other things) but for her I always hold her legs as shown at the "Diaper Free Baby" website -- click on "Practicing EC", then "EC Basics", then "Pottying Positions", and see the last image shown.

Good luck!
profmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, without seeing what you are doing in person, my guess is that the baby doesn't feel secure. Try doing these positions while out in the living room or somewhere he is in commonly, over the carpet or over a bed or something that he can see he won't fall into. You can do this with clothes on even if that helps. Once you practice holding him in this new position for awhile, with clothes off, hold him over a blanket/towell/prefold (something that can get wet) and start trying to cue him over that. Then eventually transition to the potty.

You said you just started, have you learned his peeing routine yet? Have you started just cueing when he pee's in his diaper or having naked time? If not, that would be another place to start with the basics of just learning his routine and communicating what he's doing. Maybe he's confused what he's supposed to do over the toilet, so he is screaming at you, type of thing?? These are just my thoughts, hope it helps, happy ecing!
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote