Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

Re: SC Medicaid no longer covering routine circumcision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
I personally think it should all be paid for, including your kids ears pierced as I would prefer a doctor to do it over a shop at the mall where the hygiene is not as good but it isn't the point I am making. Where do you draw the line and who decides what is elective or not. I never had a need to have a biological child - my need was to be a mom so that really is a bad argument to me. And, paying for my own infertility treatments given our issue would have been far cheaper than the nightmare we went through although our insurance/docs pushed us to have a biological child or basically get a child any means necessary just out of full support as they were just that wonderful - they helped in any way they could and we were very fortunate.

Some of the treatments I have access to could be considered elective to some. But, my doctors push me to do them - some I accept, some I don't. So, if someone on diaperswapper say's hey... that doesn't sound good, group think kicks in where the norm say's hey, that doesn't sound good, even though it may be best for me and my family... then... no more treatment for me and I should suffer? Or, what if I took another approach... everyone should adopt... nor more infertility treatment as I believe that is unnatural (now this is not what I think and I think people should do whats best for them but its not the point) and I went around and lobbied for that? I could use the argument a few people are abusing it and having crazy multiples, trading/selling their meds for a profit (to me, they should be donated, not sold if insurance paid for them) and all kinds of other things I've seen go on or have been told about by friends prior to them adopting. So, again, where is the line drawn where you begin to impose your values on someone else and deny them the right to make an informed choice for their child? Our gov't pays for all kinds of crazy things they probably should and for those of us who don't get tax breaks & credits it sucks but that's life and it is what it is. But, I personally want the choice as I want people like my son's birthparents to be able to make the choice for their children (and yes, they consulted us).
I think this is the part that you are not getting- you/they STILL HAVE THAT CHOICE. Newborn boys can STILL be circumcised in states that do not cover circumcision in their medicaid plans. The difference is, when you make the choice to have the surgery done to your child, is you are going to have to pay out of pocket for it.